Chapter 52 Job Interview

No one's POV

A month later

Currently in open deep space, a lone Pelican is seen, as large ship, the UNSC Tartarus, emerges.

Mayers: There she is. (over the radio) Unidentified Pelican dropship, this is Captain Mayers of the UNSC Tartarus responding to your distress signal. Come in, over.

Within the interior of the Tartarus. A video of Chairman Malcolm Hargrove is playing on a soldier's computer.

Mayers: Unidentified Pelican, please respond.

Pelican readout on computer terminal screen: 57% DAMAGE TO EXTERNAL THRUSTER

Pilot: Eh. Comms are acting kind of funny. Maybe they can't hear us?

Stassney: (watching an interview on KOX NEWS with Malcom Hargrove.) Or maybe they fell asleep at the wheel.

Mayers: Pelican, can you just give us a sign that you're reading us?

The Pelican's lights flash once.

Pilot: Oh hey, she lives!

Mayers: Pelican, are you able to make your way to our starboard docking bay? We'll be able to assist you from there.

The Pelican's lights flash once

Pilot: Well. There you go.

Mayers: Stassney, meet up with Blanton and Kilgore in docking. Let's see what this is all about.

Stassney: Wait, how the hell you know that meant yes? What if two flashes means "yes," and one flash means "stay away, alien zombies"?

Outside the Tartarus, the Pelican's thrusters can be seen turning on before the Pelican moves toward the docking bay.

Mayers: You were saying?

Stassney: Fine. The signal sucks out here anyway...

On the computer screen with Hargrove and the caption "WE ARE STILL AT WAR."

Hargrove: ...and we should all prepare ourselves for whatever may come next.

With Stassney on the upper level deck of the prisoner holding room, in front of a control panel. Various prisoners are shouting and heckling.

Prisoner 1: Hey Stassney, why we stoppin'?

Prisoner 2: Lemmee guess, you're letting us go?

The Prisoners all laugh.

Stassney: (Striding past the cells.) Quiet down. Just picking up what I hope are hitchhiking cheerleaders.

Prisoner 3: In your dreams, asshole!

Cut to Stassney entering Starboard Docking Bay, as seen through a security camera.

Blanton: Come on, Stas, hurry up.