Chapter 18

The rest of Summer went by in the blink of an eye which in a way was a good and bad thing

The rest of Summer went by in the blink of an eye which in a way was a good and bad thing. Bad because we were back in school which was taking up most of our time now. Good because we were finally in our senior year. Paul, Leah, and I couldn't wait for this year. For two out three of us this was the last of school all together for us.

Paul who already hated school as it is, plans to work in construction. He already has a guaranteed position with his dad's company. It's the kind that builds houses not the road kind. Paul has always been hands on and I think that if his sketches are as great as I picture in my head, he could be great at designing some houses. He's mentioned to me before that he would love to help remodel some of the houses here on reservation. A majority of them are so old and run down and are lived in by our elders.

Leah was a shock to me. All our lives she never had any sort of idea on what she wanted to do when finished with high school. But before summer was over, she told us that she wants to be a nurse. Out of everything that is out there, that was the last thing I ever expected her to say. She told us that she wants to help people and she seemed really passionate about. I am very proud of her that she wanted to do something that she seems so determined to do. She would be a great RN.

I already didn't plan on going to college, which mom still isn't to pleased about but dad assured me that she will get over it. In October I start an internship at our tribes hall of records to become a historian. I was extremely excited to start there, everything on our tribe from the very beginning is held there and only so much is available to be viewed by the public. Uncle Billy told me that if I eventually want to be a council member, this was the perfect place to start because all of our history would available at my fingertips while I worked there. It would be heaven for me.

When we told our parents all this at the traditional end of summer bonfire, they were all very proud of us, especially Leah's since they had the hardest time getting her to choose a future after high school.

Since I pretty much had all my credits completed last year and from the more advanced classes I took in Hawaii, I only had a total of four classes instead of six this year. I really only needed to take three but I decided to take an extra one. With the needed English, Algebra II and psychology; I'm taking an AP history class.

Because of that, I heard a ton of complaining about how I suck and how lucky I am; not from just Paul and Leah, but Jacob who is now a sophomore and Seth our new little freshman. Oh well, they could be jealous. Sadly though, I had no classes especially my AP history class with either Paul or Leah. But surprisingly, Jared was in history with me. Paul wasn't happy about that.

Ever since the incident with him at the grocery store, Paul didn't want me anywhere near Jared. He seriously thought that if he didn't step in front of me that day, Jared would have hit me. In my opinion, I don't think he would ever hurt me. He did scare me a bit from the way he yelled at me but I won't tell Paul that.