Chapter 5

Time was starting to fly faster than I knew it

Time was starting to fly faster than I knew it. It seems like I just started going to La Push High and now it's almost time for Halloween.

I couldn't be happier that today was Saturday which meant I was totally sleeping in. School was easy enough but the work load was still a lot. I've even been helping Paul, Leah, even Jared in some of our classes. I didn't mind helping them but it was taking a bit out of me.

The sun has been up for a while but I'm was staying in bed. I hear a knock on my door but I ignore it and pull the blanket over my head, snuggling into my pillow. That didn't stop the knocking though. After not answering I hear the door open.

"Gem, sweetie you need to get up," Mom says shaking me lightly.

I groan, "Mom it's Saturday. Please let me sleep," I say pulling the blanket around me tighter.

"Fine if that's what you want."

"Yes thank you. Wake me up for lunch."

"Ok, I'll just tell your dad you rather sleep in then to video chat with him."

I froze for a split second before slinging the blanket off of me and taking off down stairs to the kitchen. But stupid me didn't give my legs a chance to wake up so I slid down the last five steps bouncing on my butt on every step all the way to the floor.

Unknown to me, the laptop was turned toward the stairs with the chat already on with my dad. I heard his deep chuckle and snapped my head up. Not caring what just happened, I close the distance between me and the computer and smile brightly at my dad.

"Hey daddy!"

"Wow!" He shakes his head still laughing, "I see fall is in season

"Wow!" He shakes his head still laughing, "I see fall is in season." I stick my tongue at him, "Haha very funny."

"I'm sorry Gem, that wasn't funny at all..." I nod thanking him. "It was hilarious!"

"DADDY!" I whine making him laugh harder.

"I'm sorry baby girl, you know that I love you."

For the next ten minutes we caught up. I haven't had a video chat with him in over a month. After he said bye to mom and signed off, I couldn't fight the tears I didn't realize I was holding back.