29 - Jake

I had faltered my way through tentatively asking Jayna for a date, and...had she brushed me off? It seemed so unlike her. She never, ever told me she "had to go." I was worried. I checked her location on her phone. It showed her at home. Maybe she had a visitor? Jealousy bloomed in my chest.

No. She told me I had nothing to worry about with Phil. Jayna had proved herself to be loyal and trustworthy, as well as straightforward. If she didn't want to have a date with me, I'm certain she would have said so.

Ten minutes later, Jayna was clearly going for a run. This was not enough time for her to have a date or any type of meaningful visit from anyone else. Maybe she was just stressed from all that had happened with Richy or had a long day at work. Nonetheless, I needed to stop spying on her. It was completely inappropriate for me to spy on my...on the girl that I cared about so deeply. I needed to get back to work and concentrate. If I could spend even a little time doing work instead of daydreaming about Jayna, perhaps I would make some true progress.

A while later, I saw a call notification for Jayna's phone. The number wasn't in her address book, but I soon found out who it was. "Phil," I muttered distastefully under my breath. Calling her, of all people, from prison. This was how he used his single phone call? Not to call a lawyer, but to call my Jayna!

Of course, Phil you idiot, her memory stuck with you. Jayna was unforgettable. He wanted her to help clear his name. She just listened quietly, and the call was cut off before she could ask any questions.

She contacted me right away to discuss this, which made me feel only marginally better. I read her summary without comment; of course, she knew I was jealous again. I wanted to ask her about earlier, with the restaurant. But I refrained. I even apologized for being so petty, because I knew it was. I was losing my objectivity, and the case could suffer because of it.

Then she told me exactly what I needed to hear; that she would have nothing to do with Phil once this was over. "But you will still be there. You will, won't you?"

So I responded with what she needed to hear: that I would still be around after this investigation came to its conclusion. My jealousy receded back to that ugly place inside my head where I would prefer it withered away and die. How embarrassing!

Now, what was that question she was going to ask me but said never mind? I wanted to push but felt I had been whiny and demanding enough for one day. I let it go.