Mistress of the House

Nearly on 40K! Thanks all.

Duck egg or teal?

Harriet looked between both fabric samples. She liked both of them really. Biting her lip, Harriet wondered which would look nicest in the ladies' powder room. It had to be nice. Everyone would gossip if the power room wasn't nice.

Perhaps she could ask her mother. No. Harriet was mistress of her own house now. No more asking her mother or Aunt Hilda. She had to make those choices alone.

Duck egg it was.

The quiet of the hallway allowed Harriet to continue her mental to-do list. She was taking her new role seriously. Now that the season was over and there were fewer people to entertain, Harriet could use her time to refurbish the house. Friedrich and Harriet had a more than generous income. Everything in the  Hohenzollern house would be perfect.

The quiet was suddenly replaced by angry voices as Harriet neared the servants' quarters. Frowning, Harriet strained to hear what they were saying but failed.

Harriet knew that a lady didn't go down to the servants' quarters but curiosity got the best of her. Stepping lightly down the stairs, she followed the voices to the female sleeping hallway.

It was wrong to eavesdrop but Harriet figured that as the mistress of the house then she should know what was going on.

Clearing her throat, she rapped neatly on the door.

"Enter!" It was Mrs. Stockton's voice.

Harriet entered to see Mrs. Stockton and an unknown gentleman standing on either side of a bed. Laying in said bed was a stout housemaid with curly red hair. Harriet hadn't seen her before, so she must be below stairs staff.

"Your Highness," Mrs. Stockton and the man both bowed deeply. The girl in the bed inclined her head respectfully.

"What is going on in here?" Harriet asked, trying to sound as authoritative as possible.

"This is Dr. Lawrence, ma'am."

"Good day, Your Highness."

"Why was I not informed that a doctor was present?"

"Well, erm," Mrs. Stockton had the decency to look embarrassed, "You see, ma'am, Rose fainted earlier. We called the doctor in to assess her and it turns out that she in a delicate condition."

"Oh. I see."

Harriet cast an eye over the maid. She was a fairly large girl so she wasn't surprised that Rose either didn't know or was able to hide it. Harriet couldn't even guess how far along the maid was. Rose was looking down at the bedsheets. In fact, none of them could meet her eye.

"How far along is Rose?"

"I would say about four and a half months."

"Hmm."

"I did not know, Your Highness, I swear," Rose suddenly burst out, "I have not felt at all ill or strange. I swear to the Lord that I did not know."

"It doesn't matter, you stupid girl," Mrs. Stockton snapped, "You have shamed yourself and this household. Anyone employed in this type of house should be of good character. I think it is safe to say that you are not of good character. Goodness me, a pregnant, unmarried maid under my roof. Do not cry girl, you've made your bed so you must lay in it."

Rose dissolved into tears.

"Mrs. Stockton, please remember the girl's condition," Dr. Lawrence said.

"I do remember it and so should see. Your Highness, I am dreadfully sorry that you've had to see this. Please accept my humblest apologies. I now defer to you on the matter of her place here."