Lady Danbury's Ball

We're at 100K views! I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all so sincerely. It was a small idea I had that has been so well received. I'm honoured by every show of support and I hope that I can return this by giving you the best writing.

Dearest Reader,

The social season has returned—and so has my quill. The most illustrious young maidens were presented to Her Majesty at the palace, but alas, she was not taken with any. With a Diamond not yet chosen, it is up to every debutante to use every trick in their arsenal to impress the Queen.

Let us hope that these young ladies will follow the illustrious example of the previous year. Take the former Daphne Bridgerton for example. She is now the Duchess of Hastings and has given the Duke a male heir. Harriet Greyfair is now Princess Harriet and is happily expecting a child. Any debutante could only hope of such a victory.

Let us hope that someone will rise to the occasion.

- Lady Whistledown

Harriet had enjoyed her season, very much so, but she was very glad that it was done.

Lady Danbury's home was once again the scene of the first ball of the season. As usual, it was also the most spectacular. It would be the chance for the new debutantes to attempt to impress the Queen.

"My aunt isn't here yet,' Friedrich said as they walked in, arm in arm, "I think that allows us some respite for the time being."

Harriet laughed in response.

"Let us greet the hostess."

Lady Danbury stood near the door along with three women that Harriet did not recognise. One was about her mother's age whilst the other two were about her age. They were all very beautiful women, she noticed.

"Lady Danbury."

"Your Highnesses," Lady Danbury curtsied as low as she could, the other women following suit, "Welcome to the ball. Congratulations on your news of course, I am sure that you are very excited."

"We are, yes," Harriet beamed.

"Let me introduce my guests for the season. Lady Mary Sharma and her daughters, Miss Sharma and Miss Edwina Sharma."

They curtsied neatly.

"A pleasure to meet you- have you come far?" Harriet asked, in society lady mode already.

"Bombay, Your Highness," Lady Mary replied almost bashfully.

"That is quite the undertaking. Are you both debuting?"

"My dear sister is," Miss Sharma said, "I am invested in ensuring that she makes a most excellent match. That is why we are here."

Miss Edwina merely smiled in response.

"Excellent. Please excuse us, I am sure that you have more guests to great. Ladies."

They curtsied again as Harriet took Friedrich's arm and walked again.

"Do you know them?" he asked.

"I confess that I do not," Harriet frowned, "I suppose them being from Bombay means that I should not know them but they are still clearly a society family. No doubt that Lady Whistledown will know their business and will regale us with said knowledge."

"I am sure your aunt will know," Friedrich nodded towards where Hilda, Frances, Julia and Phoebe were standing.

"Harriet!" Phoebe squealed, rushing over to embrace her. Her family followed suit.