Then it went BOOM!

ON: Another spin of the bottle and- the maritimes?

NS: Finally! We have so much history and culture-

PEI: Yet we have never had our own chapter.

NB: So, we planning to talk about our main staple of history?

NS: Well it's more like mine but whatever.

PEI: Oh that one... I thought we got to talk about Vikings...

NB: No way, that's a Newfoundland thing. Here's the story of one of the biggest port explosions.

NS: We're really making it that obvious?

(New Brunswick's POV 1917)

I rushed my hair, the ribbon was lopsided and barely tied but I could care less because today was a good day- no a great day!

I got to visit my big brother at his capitol city, sadly Princy was gonna be there but that wasn't going to trifle my spirit. See Nova was crazy into the war effort, I mean he had one of the most important ports in North America and the British Empire, gotta protect it. A single bomb could desmate the trade communications. Due to his responsibilities he had moved out of the province house and barely had time to hang out with his family, including his little sister-  me, New Brunswick. Not Princy in case you were thinking that- uh actually let's change to when I get to his house.

Opening the door showed his small shack. It must have only been three rooms as it felt so very small. My clean freak of a brother had everything dusted and mopped, it shined- well either then the few crates of American drinks in the corner. He sat by a coffee table with a well cleaned sailor outfit which outshone everything I had seen him in, including what he wore the signing of Canada into existence.

"Someones getting fancy today! I  didn't know you even wear something like that!"

"Oh come on Brunsy, I only got this guy a few weeks ago. It's lovely for a sailor uniform." Nova smiled admiring his uniform. "See someone just rolled out of bed."

I gazed at my white gown which only the lace made it differ from a nightgown. My hair was barely brushed and ribbon as stated previously looked as if it was done by a rabid penguin. "Ah... I see."

He laughed inviting me to the seat by him. I sat down as PEI slammed open the door scaring the two of us half to death. "I'm here-"

"AAAAAAAAAAH!" I screamed, eventually laughing it off as her frilly dress and European braids entered the room. Nova looked more scared, eyeing the door with the fright of a soldier. "You okay brother?"

"Yeah... It's just such a loud door slam heh." He crossed his arms slightly shaking. I sighed, he had been scared of such loud noises, similar to a explosion or seeing certain things. He was never like that, including that stupid drinking habit.

"Anyways I got checkers, chess and some cards if you guys want. Oooooo- or perhaps some syrup I snuck from Quebec!"

"You shouldn't steal from people Prince. Especially people overseas it's rude." Nova Scotia sighed. Most of the guy provinces had gone overseas to France and Africa. Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Northwest Territories. Newfoundland had gone over with her sibling as a nurse even though she wasn't even a province yet, Nova was a sailor and watched the ports with British Columbia, sometimes heading to give supplies in the Atlantic.

"Princy, he's right that's very messed up."

"Whatever, we just won't drink it. Chess?"

PEI sat near the black pieces as Nova Scotia moved the first white pawn two spaces up. Now I might not fully understand what the two were doing but something told me the two were really good at it. PEI had been learning chess for the past few years spending a stupid amount of time trying against our brothers. Nova Scotia had been playing the game with me since we were two, I had chosen to forget how to, Nova on the other hand...

"Your queen, seems if my bishop is on your tail." He smiled pointing to the piece.

She grumbled before giving a slight smile. She moved a pawn up on the chess board. She took the pawn and swapped it for a knight. "And you're in check. Now will you kill your king or or my knight?"

Nova Scotia huffed staring at the board in disbelief. He of course moved his rook and took out the knight which prince responded with the knock of his bishop.

Then out of nowhere his eyes went wide, not in a shocked way like he discovered the perfect move to absolutely crush his opponent, a face of fear and pain.

Then he spat out blood.

I rushed to him. Nothing can cause a province to be bleeding internally, had someone attacked us? Had a submarine got through the defences-

But I didn't get to think,

'Cause then it went boom.

The windows shattered, and glass hit all of us and marked the floor. A intense heat rushed through the shack handing out first degree burns. The worst part though was the deafening boom echoing from the docks which almost shattered my ear drums. Nova Scotia spit out more blood as a slight earthquake waved the ground.

I yanked him to the ground as more fire and glass sprayed against the house. Princy finally came to the ground with us after a shard hit her leg.

Finally got the cherry on top, cracks and shaking formed around the house.

"THE HOUSE IS COMING DOWN! WE HAVE TO GET OUT!" Prince screamed, not helping the cracks quickly growing.

I forced Nova up which he didn't fight, he was in pain and barely conscious. Prince Edward Island slowly crawled up, blood slowly trickling from her leg.

I carried Nova out to the roads with Princy right behind us. The rubble crumbled to the ground with resounding thump. My brother finally fell in to my arms unconscious, mumbling something about boats. Prince Edward Island joined to sit by us, ripping out the shard which sink deep in her leg and wrapping the wound in some ripped off skirt. She motions to hand me some cloth.

In all the chaos I hadn't noticed the many shards deep in my skin, the burns and my ears bleeding. Come to think of it I was kinda of light... lightheaded.

"I'm kinda... lit- little tired.."

"Not you too!" Prince ran towards me as I passed out.

Next thing I knew I was sitting in a tough bed which was quite similar to my bed at the province house. I moved the sheets and sat up, my back ached and I overall felt horrible. I gazed around me, I was at a hospital, but I wasn't. If anything it looked like a school, a falling apart one at that. Women with red crosses on their dresses and men in white coats and others in their normal garments rushed around the gym like area tending to the hundreds of people in cots and on floors. I was wrapped with bandages and in insane agony but I got out of the bed anyway of which was immediately filled by a patient covered in blood.

Weird humans can't tend to- I looked at my hands in my hazy vision. Oh human look. I limped my way across the chaotic gym eyeing my brother who had dry blood all over his schools and mouth, burns throughout his complexion and a million cuts everywhere. He looked to still be asleep as Prince sat by him silently.

///////

PEI: We never finished that game of chess

NS: Of course we didn't! I was coughing up blood! And around 1800 of my people died, 9000 injured. It was one of the darkest days of my history.

MB: All that happened while we were away?

BC: A lot happened, we ladies had to pick up all the work!

YK: I had to run Northwest's cabin all year, chopping up wood isn't as fun as it sounds, though I was really buff.

NU: I wanna be buff! Northwest can I chop wood!

NT: Um... we'll talk about this later

————————————————————————

1366 words

As said previously, I'm not a historian so if you want to know more about this subject please research it and don't just take my word!