Outreach Day

"All students will report for their volunteer jobs at 10:00 a.m. sharp, followed by a community lunch at 1:00. As you know, this years Outreach Day culminates in a very special event, the dedication of a new memorial statue in the town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students. As representatives of our school, I trust you will all put your best face forward." Principal Weems announced as I was sitting on the ground inbetween Ajax and Xavier.

Cards were being handed out as me, Ajax, and Xavier got ours. Xavier held his hand out for me to grab as he helped me to my feet. And Ajax handed me my card.

"Oh my god, I got the Weathervane." Xavier groaned before turning to me and Ajax, "One of you trade me." And Ajax shook his head no, "Come on, trade with me!"

"X, I got Weathervane too. It won't be to bad...hopefully." I said looking up at him.

"It won't be to bad? We'll be working with Tyler." Xavier said as he looked down at me.

"Fair point." I replied as I looked at Ajax.

"I'm not trading with either of you. I got that creepy antique store, and I'm stoked." Ajax replied walking away as I rolled my eyes.

"Idiot." I mumbled.

Once we arrived in town me and Xavier walked off together. I don't know where Ajax went, or Enid. They were with us, until Wednesday appeared then they disappered.

I hope there not dead.

"Why are you two staring at a blank wall?" Wednesday asked walking over to me and Xavier.

"It wasn't blank last Outreach Day." I replied for Xavier, because this was back when me and Xavier first met, so I helped him.

"Are you still stewing because I rejected your invitation?" Wednesday asked.

"She did go out on a limb for you." Xavier replied.

"Oh please. I'm just cannon fodder in whatever cold war you're waging with Bianca. And more pressing issues." Wednesday replied.

"Like what?" Me and Xavier asked.

"Tracking down the monster that killed your roommate." Wednesday replied.

"Oh my god." Xavier groaned, "For the last time, Rowan was expelled."

"Everyone saw him leave." I added.

"Have you spoken to him since?" Wednesday asked.

"I texted him a few times, but I never heard back." Xavier answered, "I just figured he wanted Nevermore in his rearview mirror."

"Or he's dead." Wednesday continued.

"I don't know why you care so much. It's not like you knew the guy." I said as I started walking away pulling Xavier along with me.

"I'm not sure why you care so little." Wednesday said following us, "People can dismiss me and make a million other excuses, but I'm not gonna stop."

"Oh, great. I guess you can add 'thief' to your resume." I said as Wednesday pulled a book out of her backpack.

"I don't know what the big deal is about an old Nightshade's journal anyways." Xavier said as we came to a stop once again.

Wednesday then held up the book. The picture from last night I pulled out of her pocket, was on top of the opened book. And to the side of it was, what I assume is the other half of the picture.

"You didn't seem surprsied when I showed you this last night." Wednesday said turning to look at me, "You've seen it before, haven't you?"

"Yeah. A couple days before the Harvest Festival." I explained to her, "It was open on Rowan's desk. I assumed he stole it after we kicked him out of the Nightshades."

"Then I confronted him about it, and he kind of went ballisstic on both of us." Xavier explained, because this was back when I was hanging out with Rowan.

And when Xavier walked into their room I showed him the picture.

"He threw you against the wall with his telekinesis." Wednesday said and I raised an eyebrow confused.

"Yeah." Xavier replied.

"How'd you know that?" I asked confused.

"Lucky guess." Wednesday replied, but I don't think that's it.

I can't help but wonder if it's because of those weird visions she has. Like the one in the woods where we found Rowan's glasses. And the one during the Poe Cup.

"It's weird that your in this. This journal is like, what, 30 years old?" Xavier said tapping it.

"And what the hell is Crackstone doing in the picture with you?" I asked.

"You know who that is?" Wednesday asked surprised.

"Yeah, It's Joseph Crackstone." I replied as if it was obvious, "He's, like, Jericho's founding father. He's a big deal around here."

"Yeah look." Xavier said pointing at a banner hanging from a light post, "That's him."

Me and Xavier then walked away. After we were out of ear shot of Wednesday, Xavier started to tease.

"You love her." He laughed poking me as I tried wacking his hand away.

"I do not." I laughed slapping his hand away again.

"You so totally do." Xavier teased again.

"She is so totally what?" Wednesday asked walking up next to us again.

"She's totally in lo-" Xavier started but I slapped my hand over his mouth.

"He doesn't know what he's talking about." I replied before pushing the two of us towards the rest of the Nevermore students and Wednesday followed us confused.

"Dumbass." I mumbled slapping Xavier upside the head as he chuckled.

"Welcome Nevermore students. Now, on behalf of the entire Jericho community, we are so, so pleased to have you all here today.  Your generosity and hard work are truly...outreachous!" Mayor Walker laughed as Principle Weems jogged up to his side.

"Okay, everyone. We'll see you back here at one o'clock for lunch. Enjoy!" Principal Weems said as we all started walking towards our jobs for the day.