SIX: new job

violet

i didn't have a phone on me, i couldn't call an uber to drive me. i asked where i was supposed to go to find taxis and a lovely lady pointed to me the right way. it took me a whole ass ten minutes to finally get in one.

i gave the man my address and we drove there. we arrived at a very tall looking building, i made my way inside after paying the driver and asked the front desk for my key, i assumed that was what i was supposed to do since i didn't have them with me.

"ah, you're violet! we've been waiting for you." the gorgeous women said, handing me my key. "do you want me to show you to your apartment?" she asked.

"that wouldn't be necessary, thank you though." i smiled and started making my way to the elevator.

"floor 15 apartment 297!"

i'm glad she yelled that because i absolutely had no idea where i was going to go. the elevator door closed as i pressed on the button that said "15". seconds later i was at my flat's door.

i unlocked it, stepped in and locked it again. the phone was right by the door, i grabbed it to see if there were any contact information in there, but i was disappointed to find out there wasn't any. i thought alfred would make me call once i got home.

shit. the phone startled me when it started ringing loudly in my hand. an unknown number from japan was calling. at first i was going to ignore it, like i usually do but then i thought maybe it was alfred. he wouldn't let me go with out knowing i was in new york and safe.

i answered the phone but didn't say a word. i always do this with unknown numbers, can't let them know who you are unless you find out who they are first. "violet?"

"alfred." i sighed in relief.

"good, you're home." i could hear the relief in his voice. "i furnished your flat with basic furniture to allow you to live comfortably from your first stay but also be able to make it your own."

"yeah, i noticed that." i looked at the all white furniture around my place.

"do you see the shoe cabinet by the door?" he asked.

"i do." i answered.

"there is a box in there, don't be alarmed by it but there is a gun in there." he calmly said. "for the time of need you are going to use it. don't be afraid to. you've been trained to use a gun before, i trust you with it."

"guns aren't foreign to me al." i opened the box to see a gorgeous glock 19 shiny and new. i picked it up with one hand to just feel it out and admire it's beauty.

"it's not loaded though, you'll have to do that." he mentioned.

"mhm, thank you alfred. really, i mean it, thank you so much." i said.

"i didn't know a gun would make you this happy." he chuckled.

"oh trust me this gun is magnificent but i mean it al, none of this would've been possible if it weren't for you." i smiled, putting the gun down back in its box.

"of course violet. don't let anyone find out who you are, next time i'll see you in morocco." he said before he hung up.

and for the first time i felt truly alone. finally some peace. i'm in a one room apartment that has absolutely everything i need to live, a mini kitchen where i can prepare my food but not cook there. i've been raised in a mansion with maids and cooks my whole life, surly you would expect me to make my own food. there is a pretty spacious bathroom and of course, the bedroom itself.

although, the star of the show is the view i have of the city with my big tinted windows. it's honestly the reason i chose to stay here, the view. there's nothing like it in london, at least i've never seen it. i don't think i'll ever want to sleep with the drapes closed, that would be a crime.

i layed down on my bed to test how comfortable it was and it may have been way too comfortable. i slept with all my outside clothes in my bed, which would be fine if i didn't have two job interviews a couple hours later. yes, i do have an insane amount of money in my bank account, but i have to get a job to keep the money coming in and avoid raising any suspicions.

i opened my eyes where i found the once dark with stars world has turned into rush hour traffic in new york. i jumped up finally realizing what i've done, opened my closet for the first time to see that alfred did not disappoint with his fashion choices and almost all the clothes were pieces i would've picked out myself.

i really have to go shopping soon for my makeup and skincare too. i do not want to breakout anytime soon. i got dressed, my hair looked somewhat presentable so i rolled with it and locked up before leaving to find a cab.

"morning violet!" the same lady at the front desk greated me as i got out of the elevator.

"good morning hon." i walked over to her, concerned. "how long have you been here, what does your shift hours look like? you've been here all night?"

"oh the schedule changes every month, and i somehow got the shitiest schedule out of all my colleagues. it's fine, the schedules are changing again in two days." she answered.

"well.. layla." i looked at her name tag. "you should go home after your shift and have a big fat nap. you deserve it." i smiled and started walking backwards, since i was in a rush.

"i will, have a nice day." she nodded and smiled back.

"you have a good sleep." i said before turning around and opening the door to leave the building. thankfully the first cab i saw was available and i told him the address. ten minutes later i was in front of a thrift store that looked pretty popular.

"hi welcome, to pulchritudinous how can i help you?" a young women who seems to look like she's my age said.

"i'm violet, i have a job interview." i said.

"oh, you're the late one." she said, laughing to herself.

"sorry i didn't mean to waste your time and disrupt your schedule. i just came from a flight and i slept in, totally my fault, i truly apologize." i shook my head, still wondering what in the world possessed me to fall asleep for this long.

"girl don't worry about it, i don't have no schedule with me. i just let life surprise me with its bullshit. i honestly don't have any other people coming in for this job, you have a great sense of style, you hair color is just amazing and your accent makes me want to fall in love with you right here right now. so you're hired welcome to the team, i'm aailyah." she put her hand out for me to shake.

"are you sure?" i frowned. this is so not how i expected this procedure to go down. at the company people have to go through too much shit just for them to be able to set foot into the second floor.

"yes, i'm sure." she nodded. "you really only have to help customers out with some pieces you think they might like, answer some questions and ring them up at the counter. if you have any questions just shout for me." she shrugged.

crazy. i guess i won't have to rush to my other job interviews, this was the highest paying one either way, so it's a win win.

☆☆☆

"aaliyah!" i yelled for the millionth time this shift.

"violet!" aaliyah hush yelled as she walked over to me.

"i'm sorry, i'm just learning the ways here. i promise tomorrow you'll feel like i've been working here forever. how do i put in the amount of payment?" i talked way too fast.

"girl, you gotta chill a little." she chuckled. "here i'll show you." i scooted over a little bit and my boss showed me how it's done.

that was our last customer for the day and i later helped her lock up the store and she made sure i got to a cab safely to go back home. i walked into the first floor of my building and smiled when i saw layla wasn't there.

i still have valuable time on my hands before i have to go back to bed. if i get back into that apartment i'm going to be alone with my thoughts, i'm terrified of that. so i turned around and started walking around the streets until i caught a cab to take me to the nearest mall. i have to get some necessities that i don't currently own.