FIFTY - SEVEN: ill be free

sadie

it's been two days since my father has been declared missing. everyday the sloanes come to visit us in the living room where we all sit and watch the news from breakfast to lunch time, which is when they usually decide to leave.

mama has this sparkle in her eyes, that yells out how free she feels. she doesn't know that alfred and i are behind all this. i haven't talked to alfred about any of this, i don't plan to ever bring it up to him either. all i care for is my father being far far away from my life.

celine's parents asked me to make them understand our past relationship, since celine was refusing to say anything at all. i told them everything that they needed to know. i do feel guilty, cause frankly it was not my place to reveal any of this to them. but celine has taken it too far with her antics. it was time.

billie and aaliyah are scheduled to leave tomorrow seven at night. billie hasn't asked me about my father either, i think she knows that we can't talk about it and that it's done and dealt with. i also know not to ask her to stay here, first she has to go back to her life and her work and second it's way too hectic for her to hang around here.

writers i've been in contact with have been needy and asking when they can publish the articles they have on hold. nothing can go public about me until the news about my father dies down. if anything escapes to the media people will suspect i have something to do with the incident, which for obvious reasons i can't have happen.

"hello?" i answered an unsaved number.

"violet." billie's mom answered the phone, catching me by surprise. i haven't heard from her since after billie and i broke up, i had a little word with her before my flight back.

"maggie?" i said, to confirm my suspicions.

"yes honey, billie's mom." she answered.

"it's been a while." i sighed, not really knowing what to say.

"aaliyah gave me this number i hope it's okay." she said.

of course aaliyah is the one that has to be the one that gives out information about me. "yeah that's fine." i assured her.

"that's good, cause i just wanted to call and make sure everything is okay with you and billie. i know her friends are giving her a hard time and she isn't on her phone as much anymore, but i always knew you were special." she said.

"yeah billie and i are doing absolutely fine, working things out. finding solutions for the reasons we fell apart once." i nodded.

"i'm glad honey, i just- there is no great way of bringing this up but i've been reading the news and thomas astor is your father right?"

"yes."

"oh it's must be hard for you right now, i'm glad billie is there with you and aaliyah." maggie pulled out her pity voice.

"actually it's not that hard on me, my father wasn't there for me for most of my life. all he caused was trouble but the good person in me is routing for him to at least be alive." i shrugged. i feel awful, poor maggie.

"well i'm sending positive vibes your way." she responded.

"and i'm taking in these positive vibes, god knows i need them." i chuckled