Chapter 1

The echoes from the boot heels echoed through the high vaulted stone hall that led to the reading room overlooking well tended private gardens. Inside the reading room a thin, older woman sat sipping tea and eating a plate of pastries while reading from several scrolls. She looked up as the echoes got louder and waited patiently.

"Well, Wahvel, what is the news from Vyscher?" she asked in a deeper voice than one might expect from her frail frame.

"It is as we expected milady. Some sort of plan, most likely from Brellior, is afoot in the city." The man was also thin, and exceptionally tall, outfitted in the cream-colored uniform of the woman's household guard. "Our agents haven't learned much, only that some sort of creature attacked one of the royal family."

"He went after the royal family?" the woman asked, raising her eyebrows in surprise.

"So it would seem. In addition to that attack, one team of Bishops has been eliminated by Stommrin and his group, and another was injured on the attack of the flying ship. Those fall in line with our plans, though it would have been nice to keep the ship."

"That fool DeKaupt should never have sent it over the mountains until the Bishops were gone," the woman said bitterly. She took a deep breath and held it for a moment, pursing her lips as she thought a bit. "If our King were to have a small accident, how are we set with the heirs?"

"We would be well positioned to take advantage of a situation like that, tragic though it would be, but it would almost certainly ensure that Southglade would achieve its independence," Wahvel stated calmly.

"They have already won that regardless, even if the King doesn't realize it yet. He doesn't seem to be taking them seriously, and they've already received the backing Vyscher for support in their quest to be free of his rule. So far, they have defeated every force sent to subdue them. You know Vyscher would love to have less stability here."

"Yes, Lady Bawnia, they most certainly would. Is there anything you would like done on these fronts?"

"How many Bishop teams still remain?"

"Three that we know of, though a fourth recently retired and could potentially be returned to service in an emergency."

"Removing the Bishops must remain our highest priority. This move by Ordence is a perfect opportunity for us. Have someone use poison, but I want another team gone. Frame Ordence if they're caught. Also, eliminate the retired team, they might be less on guard since they're not currently in service."

"And our King?" Wahvel asked with a raised brow.

Silence stretched out for a moment, as a life hung in the balance. "He may live a while longer. He could prove useful in deflecting our involvement if necessary," she decided. "Oh, and see if you can spread some rumors down in Southglade, something about them becoming part of Vyscher if they continue to rebel."

"Are you sure you want to do that milady? That might make them happier about their actions."

"That is true. Alright, cancel that. Just keep an eye on the situation there, though I think it is beyond hope at this point. For now, that is"

"My lady, your wishes will be done."

Moments later, the echoes of boot heels were back, but getting softer. The woman sat back and had another sip of her tea, then poured it into a nearby potted plant with a grimace, it was cold. Damnit.

Over the last moon, Fehrys had grown increasingly frustrated with the care that the magisters had provided him in terms of his healing. They had put pressure on Kucey to recall Alia to the Sky Knights, effectively removing her as his healer, and they had still refused to allow him to go to the baths or leave his room at all. Their idea of his recovery consisted of him lying in a bed until he was, in their opinion, better. In response, he had taken to sending several of the royal pages for wine. A lot of wine. He knew it wasn't helping his health, but it kept his thoughts muddled enough that he wasn't crying over Luce all the time. Just most of it.