Chapter 28

By the time Fehrys had finished exploring the camp, it was the following morning. Luckily, the stew heated up quite well. Too bad the cook was gone, otherwise he'd ask for the recipe.

It turned out that the mine had been for copper, and there were still two wagons full of the ore. Having explored the shafts, it was quite obvious that it wasn't the tunnel entrance, it was much too new for that. He would definitely have to make sure that nobody from Ordence came back to mine it again, however, they were being much too greedy. Hopefully the scare he put into the miners would help to prevent their return.

Attached to his belt was a scroll tube filled with individual pieces of parchment. Taking one out, he wrote a quick letter.

Jondure,

I found a new copper mine in the western foothills, about four days north of the West Gate. I will mark it for you in case you want to send a team out. Two wagons full of copper ore already at the entrance. Let Vic know where I am.

-F

He couldn't think of anything else to add, so he placed the letter in a heavier scroll tube, this one enchanted to send it to his brother. He had no other way to keep in touch with Vic, so hopefully his older brother would let her know. If he ever left his room that is. Being in charge of the intelligence network for all of Vysher was turning him into a hermit, taking all his meals in his room and only coming out if he was forced by his parents.

Hearing a sound behind him he turned quickly, with his hands on Czanther. Kyrian's head was buried in the pot of stew, and her tongue was eagerly lapping up the remains and banging the pot on the table. Silently laughing to himself he walked over to the young dragon.

"You did extremely well yesterday Kyrian, thank you."

Kyrian cocked her head, the remains of the stew making it look as if she had grown a very peculiar beard. "They were no challenge. I could have killed them all without any work. You know this."

"Yes, I do. But we didn't have to kill them until they attacked. They had a chance to leave peacefully. We don't have to kill everyone we see. Even the goblins in their cave, we only killed a few."

"Yes, thankfully." She shuddered, her whole body rippling in the sunshine. "Those goblins taste horrible, I'm glad I didn't have to bite any."

Looking closer at her body, with the sunlight glittering off it, Fehrys noticed that some of the scales under her wings and along her tail had turned into a deep purple. "Well, it looks like you're definitely maturing, I can see your body settled on a color. With a red mother and a blue father, I can see the influences."

"What! Where?" Kyrian twisted her head around on her long, graceful neck to examine herself. "Oh! Purple! I love it!" Spreading her wings, she stood on her hind legs to examine herself. Fehrys chuckled at her joy.

"Well, no rushing things. The color just started to change, so you're still not nearly as big as you're going to be." Fehrys did notice she was getting much larger, seemingly every day. At this rate she'd be large enough to ride within a month, and fully grown physically by the end of the year. Her emotional age would take several decades, however.

"I know, I know, you're as bad as my parents. Now watch me transform into a human! I practiced! Watch this!" Her body began to contort, and moments later she was a slim elven female with oversized dragon wings and a dragon's head.

Fehrys shook his head and tried not to laugh, she was obviously trying as hard as she was able. "Not quite Kyrian, but you're getting closer. We can try again tonight, okay?"

"Okay!" Her enthusiasm was infectious.

"Let me set a marker for the mine, and we can go alright?"

"Yes! Hurry! Let's find more! This has been a fun trip!"