Chapter 3

Fehrys submerged himself in the steamy bath. He could feel the dirt and grime lifting off him and it felt wonderful. It may have taken a long time to get here, but the bath was worth it. Alia had slipped into his room early that morning to wake him up with the sun not even a hint beyond the eastern horizon. She had activated his ring to make him light as a feather, and then they simply stepped off his balcony after she turned them both invisible. A short walk later and they were in the baths. It was almost too easy and made him even angrier that the magisters had taken Alia off his healing detail. This could have happened ages ago!

               The baths also brought him face to face with the first mirrors he had seen since his injuries, and the sight was rather shocking. It was one thing for him to see the scars while looking down at them on his body, but seeing them all at once in the mirror was staggering. His legs were a mess with the crisscrossed scars from the little goblin, and the scars on his side made him look like a piece of chopped meat. He appreciated Alia telling him that his face was still handsome, but the scar was going to take some time to get used to. The ballista tip had laid open his right cheek before bisecting his ear. The ear was partially repaired, but there was a piece that was just gone. By the size of the scar on his cheek, he thought that it must have looked like a second mouth before he had been patched up. But what shook him the most was that his right eye was no longer the silver he was used to. It had turned golden, as Luce's used to be. That whole side of his face was a memory of losing her now. He had stared at it for a long time, remembering her, before he could tear his eyes away.

               He couldn't look at himself anymore, it would be too hard.

               Retreating to the water had helped. He breathed in the steam filled air and let the hot water relax his muscles. Alia was in one of the other baths nearby to allow him some privacy, but to be close in case he needed help. He knew he had nothing to hide from her since she had already been bathing him with cloths while he had been under her care, but he appreciated the courtesy. It felt so good to relax that he didn't want to leave, maybe he could just move in down here. But the mirrors would have to go.

               "So, I see you listened well to what the healers said." He heard his brother Jondure's voice. As he opened his eyes, he could see his brother crouched on the other side of the bath, testing the water temperature with his fingers.

               "I got a second opinion. I don't think I'll be listening to the healers much anymore," Fehrys replied wearily.

               "Alia, come join us," Jondure said with his voice loud enough to be heard in the nearby baths.

               "I'm already here," she said from behind him, causing Jondure to jump. Fehrys didn't feel the need to tell him that she had just materialized there while wrapped in a towel.

               "Ahh, yes. That is a neat trick," he admitted.

               "Thank you, it took a long time to learn."

               "Can I assume that you're the one that helped him get down to the baths?" Jondure inquired.

               "Well, he was very determined to get here, and I thought it was better to help him than risk him injuring himself," she admitted.

               "I could have you arrested, endangering the life of a royal family member," Jondure said seriously.

               "I was reliably informed that Fehrys had given up his royal title." Alia smiled sweetly at Jondure, "But it you do feel the need to arrest me, you're more than welcome to try."