Chapter 6

Another day, another trip through the streets with Ravinia. Serev wished she could find the damned creature, but at least this way she was helping to undo whatever rumors that the creature was spreading. Well, more likely Ravinia was, but she was trying to lend support, and add protection in case whoever the creature was impersonating made an appearance to attack the princess. Today they had ventured to the southeast side of the city, to a small market that was frequented by many of the gnomes and dwarves in the city. Serev was amazed at some of the blades in the stalls and vowed to come back when she had more time to look at them. She hadn't been able to get a sword that truly matched her style since she had been a slave, having merely looted the ones she had been using from body after body.

She stood now behind Ravinia, keeping an eye on the crowd, and judging their reactions to what she was saying. Over the last few days, there had been a lot of positive responses to these trips, though it was disheartening to see just how far the rumors had spread. They had given speeches in crowded taverns and bars after evening meals, and they had stopped in markets both large and small. They also made a point of stopping at every inn and shrine they could to reassure both priests and followers alike that nothing was happening. The priests were easy, as almost all them knew the princess as a member of the faithful, and so they knew what she represented. The followers were not always as easy, and sometimes it just was more to get them to wait and see, knowing that the shrines would never close.

The small market they chose today wasn't as busy as they would have liked. They preferred a good crowd to spread the word faster, though that did mean that they also faced more yelling at times. But the small crowds were usually easier to convince, as Ravinia was able to give each of the listeners more personal attention.

"You have my word, people of Vyscher, that we are not closing even a single shrine or temple! The gods are revered by both my family and I, and we will be ensuring that everyone has the right to worship here in the city!" Ravinia said in her strong, clear voice from the top step of a chandler's shop. Many in the crowd nodded along with her, clearly mollified by her statement.

"Fine words milady! But why would your brother want to be shutting down Pallon's shrine then?" a young gnome yelled out from the back of the crowd. She stood defiantly, hands on her hips, obviously angry over this.

Ravinia paused for a moment, gathering her thoughts. "Pallon? He is the one who inspired me to become a priest of Enlil! He is one of the oldest friends of the royal family, you cannot believe that we would close his shrine!" she stated.

"Your brother told him he was shutting him down, kicking him and the rest of the priests out of the city! Pallon told me himself!" the young woman yelled, not backing down. Serev started to move around the crowd to get behind her.

"Pallon told you this? When?" Ravinia asked.

"A few sevendays ago! We've all been raising money to try and save him!"

Ravinia stepped down off the stairs and strode over to the gnome. "Was he acting like himself?" She asked urgently.

The gnome took a step back, obviously uneasy at the close presence of the princess. "I.... I don't know milady. He seemed sick, or sad. I guess anyone would feel that way with that news."

"That could be it," Serev said from behind the gnome, causing her to whirl in fright. "We need to go see Pallon as soon as possible." She put as much urgency as she could into her voice.

"I know his shrine well. Would you care to accompany me there? We'd like to make sure Pallon understands that we stand with him, and that he is always welcome here in the city" Ravinia said, her voice full of charm.

The poor little gnome kept whirling in a circle between Serev and Ravinia, but finally nodded, then led them west towards the river.