Chapter 14

The Weary Harpy was a mess. Bodies lay in pieces all around the common room, and there was so much blood it looked as though it had been painted on every wall. There were several city guards milling around on the outside of the building, but none dared to venture into the interior. That was left to Vic and Rek. They stood peering down into the hole that led downward, presumably to the sewers, as there wasn't much else for it to connect to.

"This hole is much bigger than the creature we fought," Vic pointed out.

Rek nodded at the statement. "Agreed. So, either it got much bigger since the last time we saw it, or there is another creature in the city."

Vic cast a little floating light spell and dropped it down. As expected, the shaft led down to the sewers. The light also showed a booted foot down there, so there was obviously more carnage there. "That is right about where the smaller one disappeared. I don't understand how, but I have to think it is the same creature. I don't see how something that large could have slipped into the city."

"And I don't see why it would have attacked right here if it did. This inn makes no sense for a random attack," agreed Rek.

"Then why here?"

"We hurt it," Rek stated. "Maybe as it healed it got bigger. It has been a long time since we saw it, maybe it was simply hungry? Or maybe it was upset at being attacked here? It was obviously intelligent, so maybe it has an ego?"

Vic's eyes went wide. "If it was upset at being attacked here, then it will go to Pallon's shrine next!" The pair ran outside with Vic yelling to the guards. "Two of you stay here, the rest of you follow us!"

The group raced south through the city, hoping that they weren't too late to help out if the monster was down there.

Aldebaran's heart was filled with joy. It was a perverse kind joy, but a joy nonetheless. He'd never felt more powerful, more alive! Certainly a lot more alive than the corpses strewn about his new rampaging form. There were a dozen guards dead under his legs, and a dozen more waving spears and swords at him that would soon join them.

Hadn't they seen the weapons bounce off his new armored body? Hadn't they seen his pincers rip the other guards in half?

Well, it didn't matter. If they missed it before, they would see it now. He lunged forward, pincers snapping and caught a guard around the waist. The poor soul tried to jab at him with his sword, but it didn't matter. It wasn't sharp enough to penetrate the thick carapace of this wonderful body. There was a momentary pause as the pincers worked through the armor, and then a high pitched screech of pain that brought even more joy to Aldebaran as the body was torn asunder. This was the life!

Or it was until a wave of purple fire washed over his back, and a sharp pain lanced through him.

"What in all the Hells is that?" asked Rek in awe. The three foot centipede that they'd seen before had been horrid, but this new one was just terrifying. It had to be twenty feet long, and when it was rearing up, it towered over the guards below it.

"It has to be the same creature," reasoned Vic. "Just much bigger!"

They watched in horror as the creature picked up a guard, ripping him in two as the man's sword glanced ineffectually off the armored beast. "No swords I guess," Rek stated. "Maybe if I can get my blade in between the plate segments it might work."