Chapter 40

Rek and Vic made much better time after the rest and more food. Rek seemed to be close to full strength and didn't require nearly as many rests as the day before. Vic continued to leave her magical traps at every rest and was happy that there was still no sign of any pursuit behind them. Hopefully the avalanche and the traps were doing their jobs.

"Well, this is new" commented Rek, as they came to an intersection of sorts. A passageway led off to the right, with a large room to the left, and a crude but well-worn set of stairs leading deeper into the earth lay before them.

"We must be getting closer." Vic agreed.

"Milady's!" came a soft voice from the right. Both Rek and Rec spun while readying her weapons. They hadn't heard another person's voice in days.

"Who is that?" asked Vic.

"I'm Dountel, a prisoner here in the tunnels. Turn back now and take us with you!" came the voice.

"We can't Dountel, there is an army behind us, and we have to collapse the tunnel."

"That is what the prince said as well." The voice sounded dejected.

"Fehrys was here?" Vic asked in shock, heading down the hallway with the cells. A dozen gnomes were in the cells, all looking dejected.

"You know him? Yes, he was here."

"He is my brother. We're trying to find him." Vic explained, hoping for some information.

"I haven't seen him since he went down the stairs to face the necromancer."

"A necromancer? Is that what is down there?" Rek sounded disgusted.

"Yes, and all his zombie diggers. We heard a lot of fighting when he went down the stairs, and then silence. I had hoped he would win, but he never came back to get us."

"How long ago was he here?"

"Oh miss, I can't tell time down here in the dark. But several days at least."

"What are they keeping you here for?" Rek asked quietly.

"We're here as hostages, keeping our spouses working at the other end of the tunnel. They have kept us alive so far, but they have stopped bringing our spouses to see us. Maybe they're done with the tunnel now."

Vic looked at Rek with fear in her eyes. "No wonder why the army is coming, they must be ready for the war."

"How many zombies are there?" Rek asked Dountel.

"Thousands milady, I'm sorry."

"We can't face that many without more rest." Vic said. It was true, even with Rek feeling better, she needed another day to recover.

"Then we need to stop here and be ready tomorrow," Rek agreed. "We can free the gnomes, they can help."

"Gladly! We can all fight the zombies!" Dountel agreed, with a chorus of the other gnomes backing him.

Vic quickly melted each of the locks, opening them. "Let's get everyone some food, and we'll try to get you ready for a fight.

She got a magical fire going in the cell and broke out some food. She would run out in a few days feeding this many, but it would be worth it if they had a small group on her side to help.

Vic felt much better after a rest, and all the prisoners were thrilled to have had a good meal for the first since Fehrys had given them some food. Rek was even happier, finally feeling close to full strength for the first time since the fight with the dragon thanks to Vic's continued healing magic. Now they found themselves taking apart carts that were in the large room near the cells and taking the pieces to make cudgels for the gnomes and dwarves to use against the zombie forces below.