Chapter 25

As much as Vic wanted to take off and help Fehrys with his research and exploration, she knew he was better suited to the task. Nobody would even think twice of him being missing for days or weeks, after he'd already disappeared before. Vic and Rek on the other hand had duties and assignments that they couldn't escape from. For instance, tracking down Petis and Belrion. The two new Bishops had passed their training mission, then disappeared trying to track the missing gnomes that were supposed to have been in the camp that Rek and Vic raided.

Rek was enjoying the attention that the new outfits from Fehrys gathered. She'd gone with a dark blue set of armor that had just been completed, and the other Bishops were going to get measured. She was still stunned that she even had such gear, and would constantly find herself running a finger over it. Vic had settled on getting a vest of the hide that would help protect her, but didn't want a full set, but they looked dashing in their matching blue hide.

Neither had even seen a living dragon, except for Kyrian in kitten form, but still hoped to someday. They did worry that with three dead, not many were left! But they wanted to see friendly ones, like those who taught Fehrys, not an angry one. Angry dragons weren't something that anyone wanted to see any time soon.

After several days, there was still no word from Petis and Belrion, and they were summoned to Gyrtek's office. As usual, he was quick and to the point.

"Head west, take your time, don't go out of sight of the gate, and look for any sign of them. We have to assume the worst, but make sure just in case. Go on foot so you don't miss anything that could be a clue."

Vic and Rek shared a quick look, both silently thanking the gods at their luck at avoiding a search party themselves.

"We'll find them, sir. You can count on us." Vic said evenly.

Bowing, they turned and left. It would be a long walk, most of a sevenday to get to the gate if they had to zigzag to search for clues.

Heading back down to their room they packed up what they needed, spare clothing, tarps and tents. It wouldn't be good to be caught out in the open in any rain.

"That could have been us." Murmured Rek, hugging Vic around the waist. "We have to be more careful. I can't stop dreaming about that night."

"I know, we got too lucky. We can't count on that again."

"Then we won't. We'll keep practicing, and no more rushing into things." Rek stated, succinctly.

"You really think it is that simple?"

"Well, no, but we can't stop trying to get better."

"OK, ok, you win!" Vic laughed. "Now let's get going before Gyrtek gives us stable duties for a week for going too slow!"

An hour later, they were on the outskirts of the city and heading out into the fields of the valley.

Fehrys was beyond frustrated, almost ready to pull his hair out. Since he left the city several days ago, he had hiked through the valley to the western gate and then struck out to the north in search of caves that could be the entrance to the missing tunnel. So far, he had found a variety of bear dens and old worked mines. Nothing at all like what he had hoped for.

The foothills here were steep and rocky, which slowed him down as well, there was no easy way to search the area. That meant trudging up and down steep slopes, and constantly having to pull off his boots to remove stray rocks and pebbles. He mentally reminded himself every time to enchant his boots to prevent them from getting in, but he just never had the time.