Chapter 36

Vic couldn't fly at all for the rest of the day, she just huddled and cried. It felt like a part of her was ripped away, and she finally knew how Fehrys had felt after losing Lucera. When Rek got the tent set up and got her fed, Vic just clung to her and couldn't let go. She was petrified about losing her too. She tried to explain it, but she couldn't even form words. The sorrow was just overwhelming.

Finally, Rek was able to soothe her to sleep with whispered lullabies from their youth, and her arms trying to calm her trembling. It was a troubled sleep, but one she needed badly.

The following morning, she woke in Rek's arms with her gentle snoring from behind her. She could feel her face still crusty with salt from her tears and held Rek's arms tight. She didn't want to let go. Turning gently so as not to wake her, Vic turned over to hold Rek, kissing her forehead gently, then dozed a bit. She had no idea what happened to Fehrys, but she knew she had to do her best to finish what he started. She still had a long way to go before she got to the volcano, but she would be extra motivated when they got there.

"Where are we?" Fehrys asked Kyrian. They were in a wide, well lit dome shaped room, that was more than large enough for the dragon to curl up in her natural form. Fehrys felt strange shocks all over his body, and looks down to see bright little lights appearing over his skin. It didn't hurt, but it was odd, and passed after only a few seconds. The same thing was happening to Kyrian's hide, not that she noticed.

Kyrian lay silently, barely breathing, and Fehrys moved over to her. Whatever she'd done had taken a lot out of her, and all he could hope for now was that it kept them away from the moss to recover. He'd breathed in a lot as well, and lay his head on her belly before drifting into a sleep alongside her.

"So, we kill the dragon and then close the tunnel? And find Fehrys in there somewhere?" Rek asked as she floated along behind Vic, soaring over the forests below.

"We don't kill the dragon unless we have to. The tunnel is what matters. Then Fehrys, then the dragon."

"But we do get to kill the dragon right?"

Vic looked back over her shoulder at Rek, as that comment was so unlike her. "You really don't like the dragon, do you?"

"If this dragon killed Junnter, Petis and Belrion, then no I don't like it at all. If that is the case I would happily kill it."

"Well, if he did kill them, then he must be pretty powerful, so let's try not to let him kill us as well all right?"

"He isn't killing us," Rek stated simply.

Vic looked back over her shoulder once more laughing at Rek. Moments later the laugh died in her through, behind Rek, gaining on them quite rapidly was an immense dragon. She couldn't tell the color with the sun behind it, but it didn't look friendly.

She dove for the trees, Rek shouting in surprise.

"Dragon! When we get down, use those new boots and run!"

"Oh damn! Ok!" Rek sounded as scared as she had ever been.

They crashed through the tops of the trees to the dark forest floor below, Rek took a knife out before they even hit the ground and cut the leather tether between them. As soon as she hit the ground, Vic cancelled the spell making Rek light, and they ran for their lives to the left of where they had been going. Hopefully the dragon would be thrown off by their speed running and change in direction.