Chapter 10

"So, the consensus is that the creature is gone?" Jondure asked the three of them.

"I believe so sir. I scoured the area under the tavern, and only found blood, a little ash and a few more legs of the creature. As wounded as it was, I don't think it could have gotten far before I was there," Serev replied. She just hoped she was correct.

"It was cut up and burned brother, so it most likely would been found if it had not burned," Vic added. Serev was grateful for the backing.

"Regardless, for the next moon or so, I'm putting guards on all the sewer entrances on that side of the river, and we'll try to run some extra patrols as well. If nothing shows up by then we can start to breathe easier."

"So, does that mean we're back with the Bishops?" Rek asked.

"It does. Take a couple of days off and then go see Gyrtek. He'll be happy that you're available. Drem and Lornk will be as well, they've been worked pretty hard."

"Ewalt and Nilva?" Vic asked, concern in her voice.

"They should be back soon. The poison took quite a toll on them though and they'll need to rehabilitate to get back to fighting strength," Jondure assured them.

"And what about me?" Serev asked, hoping to prove herself again. Working alongside Rek and Vik had given her a sense of purpose and she didn't want to lose that.

"I had thought to make you a mate on the flying ship. It needs a new crew. Unfortunately, Fehrys left the city, and it needs a captain as well. Do you think you're up to the task?"

Serev felt a surge of pride. Would they really entrust the ship to her? She could hardly contain the joy she felt! "Yes sir! It would be an honor!" she answered, her grin splitting her face so far it almost hurt. Vic and Rek both hugged her in celebration.

When Torple had flown Fehrys and Luce through the eastern rim of the Rift Mountains they had soared through the peaks so fast that the cold temperatures had been refreshing more than bitter. But the mountains on the rims were lower than those in the north where the peaks were perpetually shrouded in snow and mist. Now, flying on Maltia with Alia, Fehrys could feel the full brunt of the cold, and a wicked wind coming from the west didn't help.

Alia was doing her best to help, as she kept casting some sort of spell to warm herself up that would radiate back to him as they were huddled together under several furs. Maltia seemed unfazed by the cold, but then the griffins were naturally used to it, being from the mountains already.

"How did you survive the first time you came to find the dragons without magic?" Fehrys said with chattering teeth and blue lips.

"I travelled through the valleys and only had to climb one mountain, so it wasn't as bad. Just took a lot longer!" she called back over her shoulder.

"We can't do that now?" he asked, trying not to whine in the frigid air.

"We could, but it would add several days to the journey, even flying."

Fehrys couldn't fault her for flying directly, he had been the one pushing to see the dragons as soon as he could, and after seeing Luce's parents he was even more determined to learn the spellcasting in her memory.

"How much longer do you think it will take?" he temporized.

"We'll be there by dinner, then you'll be warm."

"What if they won't teach me though, will we have to leave?" he worried.

"Even if they decide not to teach you, which they won't by the way, they are gracious hosts and would let us stay the night," she assured him.