12. the truth in your lies

A familiar girly 80's melody filled your room

A familiar girly 80's melody filled your room. It was Saturday, a week after the hockey game, and you found yourself hanging with the girls before your tutoring session.

"No, no, skip this." Wendy tsked, skilfully painting Nichole's nails a vibrant red.

"What? But I love Madonna!" Bebe whined, in the midst of straightening her hair. "Oh fine." She surrendered, walking over to press skip on the song.

After doing that she plopped down next to you, who was reading a magazine.

"So... you've been spending lots of time with Kyle lately, huh?" Nichole commented in a sly tone. Your eyes glanced up from the gossip column to look at her.

"Well, yeah. We're friends. Really good friends. He's ...good." You hummed after some thought.

"Oh come on. Really good friends?" Nichole laughed in disbelief, doing air quotes with the hand that Wendy wasn't currently using.

Her reaction confused you. Isn't that what she wanted to know?

"What? What's wrong with that?" You asked, listening to the Fleetwood Mac that was now playing, a stark contrast to the bubble-gum pop that was Madonna.

Nichole shook her head. "Stop being coy, Y/N, you know what I'm talking about."

"Hey, don't move." Wendy muttered, moving slightly to retrieve the nail-polish remover.

"Sorry." Nichole giggled.

Your eyes squinted in confusion. "No I really don't, Nic."

"When are you two going to get together?"

Oh.

The question made you sputter. But you quickly got over the initial shock.

So that's what she was talking about.

"I could say the same about you and Tolkien." You tried to steer the question away from yourself, since the simple thought of you and Kyle dating made your heart start to pound in your chest.

You really liked the thought.

"Well actually, I'm pretty sure he's going to ask me out any one of these days." Nichole informed. "I wasn't going to mention this until later, but he asked to hangout next Thursday, at 7pm, and he told me to wear something nice." She was unable to hide the excitement in her tone.

"Wait, really?" You squealed. "That sounds like a date! One of importance!"

"He's totally gonna ask you to be his girlfriend, Nic." Wendy assured, looking up from the nail art she was doing.

"Fuck yes, Tohole is real!" Bebe fisted the air.

"Tohole? We couldn't come up with anything better?" Nichole laughed, before suddenly stopping.