19 | A Fighter

•°

•°. *࿐

I GET THE sense that people are intimidated by me. 

At first it was because of my money. My last name, my privileges, my counterfeits. 

Then it was because of me. My attitude, my ambitions, my confidence. 

And finally, it was because I was dating a mafia heiress unknowingly - who apparently, many times, has killed for me. 

My intimidation lies in my father's hands, my hands, and Alyona's hands. 

And yet with three large positions of power - people still have the gall to try me. 

"You did what?" I ask lowly. 

"Listen," Rowan puts his hands out, "I didn't know he was your dad until after we spoke-"

"You don't know what the mayor looks like?!"

"I don't keep up in politics! I vote for the president, and then I forget everything else - you can hardly expect me to remember who our mayor is!" Rowan defends, arms splaying out like a shield the closer I step towards him. 

I exhale to calm my nerves, "From the top please."

Rowan swallows, "Well this man came up to me and asked if I had seen you. I told him no but said I'd pass on a message if he had one. Then he asked me how this establishment was going, if I liked my job, if you were making money. I answered all positively, invited him back later this evening when you'd be present, and then he left."

"I have a murder target on my back, I don't have time for petty remarks and back handed compliments from my father." I groan, slumping down on the bar that has, recently especially, become my wallowing place. 

"We can fake an explosion?" Rowan suggests half heartedly. 

"Rowan," I say, "I don't think you understand that I would do that. Weirder things have happened in my life, an explosion is nothing." 

"Please don't explode this bar, it's my only source of income." He changes perspective. 

"I'll have to call him," I mutter, "Tell him not to come."

"See! That should be easy." Rowan waves a hand. 

"I haven't spoken to him in a year." I mutter more quietly. 

"Oh." Rowan pauses his actions. 

"Haven't spoken to who in a year?" Alyona asks, trotting down the stairs to the left of the bar that lead to my office and the rest of my house on the second level. 

"My dad." 

"Oh." She pauses her movement. 

"She's in the mafia - just have her kill him." Rowan points a finger towards Alyona.