11

DOUBLE UPDATE
______________________

"Dad! Can you take me and Keigo to the ice cream shop? Pleeeeaaaase?"

Both your 'son' and the bird boy were giving you their best puppy-eyes, hoping to persuade you.

"Sure! But we should tell Keigo's guardians about it first,"

You gave a look to the bird boy and he nodded, running off to a suspicious black car, then speaking to some people wearing suits and sunglasses.

'THE GOVERNMENT???'

Soon the boy came running back with a bright smile on his face.
"They said I can go!"

The two boys celebrated, but you couldn't take your eyes off the government workers. Just what were they doing? Why were they acting so suspicious?

Both boys walked and talked in front of you as you made your way to the ice cream shop, taking a glance behind you every now and then to see the government agents tailing you close by.

"Woah, your dad can really do that?"

Touya puffed out his chest with pride,
"Yeah! You should ask him to show you something!"

The two boys stopped in their tracks, turning toward you with pleading eyes.

"What is it boys?"

A bit nervous, Keigo made his request,
"C-can you make me sunglasses please? Just for a little bit! Ooh, can they be yellow ones too?"

You chuckled at his request, and after a moment, yellow sunglasses appeared in your hands, soon being handed off to the little bird.

"Here you go little dude,"

He looked at them with shock, quickly putting them on.

"Thank you!"

He turned to Touya,
"Don't they look cool?"

Touya gave his friend a thumbs up,
"Totally!"

The boys then continued to talk with each other, and ended up so caught up in their conversation that they didn't notice the sunglasses fade away. The sunglasses weren't too hard for you to make, but it was still a good idea for you to conserve as much energy as possible in case something bad happened.

Eventually you made it to the ice cream shop, but there seemed to be a problem for Keigo. He turned his pockets inside out, a downcast expression as he stared at the ground.

"I don't have any money..."

You gently ruffled his hair,
"Don't worry buddy, I've got it covered. Pick whatever flavor you want,"

He was a little shocked by your proposal, slight disbelief apparent in his voice.
"Really? You mean it?"

You nodded, and he hesitantly walked over to Touya, who was still figuring out what flavor he wanted. They both ended up ordering the same flavor, with two scoops of it on their waffle cone. Keigo was amazed by it, the public safety commission never let him have any treats, and he certainly never got things like this from his family.

Even though he didn't really know you that well, Keigo couldn't help but imagine a life where you'd been his father. A life where he'd get to be happy more often than sad, a life full of the hugs he'd seen Touya receive. (I have another book that's like that but it's quirkless au 😔).

Ever the great detective, you were able to piece together that Keigo didn't really have the best home life (HE DOESNT HAVE A HOME LIFE AT ALL), and was probably being taken care of by those government agents, and you knew how that could be.

So when he finished his ice cream, you gently wiped his cheeks with a napkin, giving him a warm smile as you patted his head. He wanted to break down in tears right then and there, but he knew he had to be stronger than that. So instead, with his voice shaky, he made one last request.

"Can... can I have a hug?"

You wordlessly pulled him into your embrace, and you stayed like that for a bit, hearing his shaky breath as he held onto you tightly.

'Poor boy's must've been through so much,'

Eventually he pulled away, seeming a bit calmer. Without saying a word, he thanked you. The government agents soon walked inside the building, and you knew what they were after. Keigo reluctantly said goodbye to you and Touya before getting in the car and driving off.

Touya reached to hold your hand,
"Isn't there something we can do for him, dad?"

You sighed, squeezing his hand a little tighter.
"I'm not sure yet, buddy. But for now, this is the most we can do,"

He hugged your side,
"I love you, dad,"

You patted his head soothingly,
"I love you too, bud,"

_________________
Ending is a little weird because I didn't know what to do and I can't have you get hit by a car like I normally would also next chapter will be happier I promise and will probs be Shoto-focused