36

"Hey Himiko, how's your week been going?"

The little girl stayed silent as she drew something with her crayons.

"Himiko, could you tell me what's wrong?"

The girl pouted,
"I don't wanna talk about it..."

"I understand. But if you want to talk about it, I'm all ears,"

She nodded silently before going back to drawing, and it only took a few more moments for her to tell you everything.

"How come I always have to act normal!? It's so unfair! Other kids get to act weird and their parents never tell them to act normal! Why do mine have to?!"

You slid a cookie over to the little girl in hopes of helping her temper cool as you tried to offer some comfort.

"I'm sure your parents just want what's best for you, Himiko. They know how people you're not close with might react to your interests,"

She made an acknowledging noise while she was eating her cookie.

I mean half of what you were saying was right, her parents did care for how others may view their daughter. But a big part of it was because her parents didn't want to be judged themselves, their own daughters reputation being more of an afterthought.

Oh you'd definitely need to have a talk with her parents, the language they've been using toward her in regards to controlling her behavior was downright unacceptable!

"Don't worry Himiko, one day you'll find friends who'll like the same things as you, I'm sure!"

~•~

You handed the girl's parents some pamphlets.

"There are some conventions coming up soon for morticians, I think it'd be an excellent opportunity for Himiko,"

Her parents gave you a weird look,
"She's a bit young for these things..."

"That might seem like the case, but you know about her... interest in dead things, right?"

A brief look of disgust flashed over their faces before they nodded.

"I think it'd be better to channel those interests into something positive rather than stifle them, as if they remain repressed, it's likely it'll develop into something more sinister,"

They seemed a bit hesitant still.
"Are you sure they'd even let us in there? Let alone Himiko, she's a child!"

You waved your hand,
"I know the people who are running it, they'll let you in,"

After a bit more convincing, they agreed to take their daughter to the convention.

Hopefully this'd be a good thing.

~•~

"I'm home!"

Your son ran over to you before giving you a hug,
"Welcome back, Papa (f/n)!"

You pat your son's head,
"Hello Tenko. Have you eaten yet? I got you a happy meal while I was on my way back,"

The boy's expression lit up as you placed the happy meal in his hands, and he quickly ran over to the dining table.

"Thanks papa! You're the best!"

A smile cracked on your face as you watched your son eagerly open the box,
"I'm glad you think so,"

Tenko gasped as he pulled out the toy,
"This is the one I really wanted!"

He quickly turned to you,
"Thank you so much, papa!"

You couldn't help but chuckle,
"No problem kiddo. I'm gonna go shower now, make sure not to eat to quickly, and chew all of your food, alright?"

He nodded his head as he struggled to open his package of apple slices,
"I will, papa!"

~•~

The months went by, and you'd made great progress with your son, Keigo, and Himiko, each of them being significantly happier than they were before.

Tenko was getting more used to a comfortable life with loving parents, and it was nice to see that he wasn't as afraid of hurting anyone as he was before.

Even though Keigo couldn't hang out with Touya anymore, it was still nice to have the comfort of a father figure, let alone any adult who cared for him. You seemed to be the one nice adult he knew.

Himiko's parents were beginning to get a little more accepting of their daughter's interests, albeit they were still thoroughly weirded out. At least it was progress. This in turn had the effect of making Himiko a lot happier as well, as now she didn't really have to inhibit her personality as much.

"I wanna be a mortician when I grow up!"

"That's great Himiko! Morticians provide a very important and underrated service,"

She smiled happily,
"And I get to see dead bodies!"

She's definitely a bit odd.

The only thing that seemed a bit sad about your life though was the fact that you were not able to see the kids you were originally tasked to care for.

It all felt so sudden with your half-baked goodbyes.

Maybe in the future there'd be an opportunity for you to spend some time with them.

Maybe.

~•~

"I require your services again,"

You whipped your head around to find a large flaming man standing right behind you giving you a judgmental look.

You quickly regained your composure,
"Didn't you fire me?"

"That was then, this is now,"

You gave him a suspicious look,
"And what's made you change your mind?"

"It seems that balancing my professional and home life was more difficult than I'd first thought,"
This man was not fit for childcare.

"Fine. But I can't be a live in nanny like before, I've got my own children to take care of,"

He sighed,
"That is... acceptable. I expect you to arrive at 9AM next week,"

"While we're at it, could we talk about my pay? I think that-"

Before you could even continue, the pro hero had already gotten into him limousine and driven off.

Even if you weren't gonna get a cushy salary, at least you'd reunite with your other kids!

__________________

SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING FOR A WHILE I FORGOT TO. ALSO SORRY ITS RUSHED AND BAD IT HAD TO BE THIS WAY OR ELSE ITD BE HARD FOR ME TO UPDATE AGAIN