18

The pro hero's eyes widened, his mouth slightly ajar. His son. Touya. He saw him.

It was only for a split second, not even a moment before the image of his deceased son disappeared.

Could it be that he was hallucinating?

He noticed you sitting down on the floor.

"Welcome back sir. I've prepared dinner, would you like to eat?"

He looked down on you,
"Why are you on the floor?"

You slowly picked yourself up,
"No reason,"

He sighed to himself, shaking his head before going to the room in which you weren't allowed in. It was only a matter of minutes before he left.

Seeing his son at the doorway deeply disturbed the pro hero, so much so that he wished to leave the house as soon as possible. He just felt too much guilt, too much sorrow.

As you heard the car pull away from the driveway, you let the illusion surrounding Touya fall, him becoming visible once more.

You tried your best to keep yourself from collapsing and made your way over to the boy. His breathing didn't seem erratic, but he sat on the ground with his back to the wall as tears spilled from his eyes.

The look he gave you crushed your heart.

"I wasn't ready..."

You held him tight in your arms,
"That's alright, you'll be ready another time. I'm still proud of you, Touya,"

He let out a sob,
"I don't wanna be dead anymore! I just want to be normal! I want to go to school! I wanna have normal friends! I wanna be me!"

He just wanted a normal childhood. Was that too much to ask?

"I know, I know. One day, you'll have all of that, I promise,"

You stayed like that for a while, sitting on the floor hugging Touya while he cried.

Even though things didn't go as planned and turned into a dumpster fire, you felt like this was the first step for Touya to reveal himself.

He'd shown that he had the resolve to do it, but he just needed to work on keeping that confidence up so he wouldn't crumble like he did today.

Touya ended up falling asleep in your arms, and you promptly put him to bed, hoping that his dreams would be happier than reality.

____________________
Shorter chapter because I didn't know what to do after you consoled him ☠️ I hope y'all enjoyed that cliffhanger