Sidestory: Scaramouche pt 1

You sat down on the porch of your home, letting out an exhausted sigh after a day's hard work. It wasn't too long ago that the land your house rested on was wild and untamed, but now here you were, a nice home with an even nicer farm!

You did feel a little bit bad about the native wildlife though, so you tried not to encroach on it too much, especially due to your love of the birds and their songs. It was always a treat to wake up to them.

Although your farm wasn't too large, it was large enough for you to have a stockpile of food while also having a good amount to sell, so you could even say you were pretty well off!

The only thing that was missing was... family.

Your parents lived far away with your more well off sibling(s), which left you all alone on your humble farm. The freedom was nice, but you still missed being able to hug someone, you missed the feeling of familial love.

You spoke a wish into the world as it formed in your mind,
"I wish... I wish I had a child..."

Suddenly, a bright [color of choice] appeared in front of you, it was... a vision! But why had it come to you?

The gem floated in front of you for a moment before starting to fly off. You were a bit confused, but then you saw it stop some distance away. When you got to it, it began to move once more, almost as if it wanted you to follow it.

You don't know how long you followed the vision for, but it eventually led you to an ethereal forest, one that felt too important for someone like you to be in.

The vision stop glowing and fell into your hands. It was a(n) [element] vision!

You wondered why it brought you to this place, and that's when you heard the most peculiar sound.

Was someone crying? Who else could be out here?

You followed the sound, eventually making it to a small clearing. And then you found the crying culprit.

A young boy dressed in white, a purple veil draped over him.

Strangely enough though, it seemed that he was asleep.

He seemed to mutter while crying in his dreaming state,
"Mother... don't leave me..."

You weren't quite sure what to do, so you ended up just sitting beside the boy on the grass, lifting his veil to expose his face.

Tears seemed to constantly be streaming down his face, his expression contorted in sadness. You brought a hand to his face to attempt to wipe one of his tears away, but as you did so, he awoke.

The boy sat up, his tears magically vanishing as he rubbed his eyes.

He spoke meekly,
"H-hello? Who are you?"

"I'm (f/n) (l/n), I found you here in the forest, sleeping,"

He blinked slowly while processing your words,
"Sleeping?"

He began to think to himself, just how long had he been dreaming in this forest? And why was he there to begin with?

"You want me to help you home?"

Your last word echoed within his mind.

"Home...?"

He looked deeply into your eyes,
"I'm sorry but... I don't think I have a home..."

"Do you know anyone you could stay with?"

He shook his head quietly.

This was certainly quite the predicament. A young boy with no home or friends... yeah, there was no way you were just gonna leave him here,

"Hey, how about you come home with me, I'll fix you up some tea, and we can figure things out from there,"

He nodded with a faint smile, and stood up from the ground, helping him up. His legs wobbled as he stood, almost as if this was the first time he'd used them in many moons, so you let him lean against you as you helped him walk back to your humble abode.

There was something familiar yet off about the boy... but you couldn't quite put your finger on it.

~•~