[06] you're not allowed boyfriends

I groaned as I shut off my alarm clock. Regardless of my original plans, I ended up coming home way after I had planned— for which I got a lot of shit for.

Even if I had fallen asleep as soon as I got home, I would have been less tired. I ended up falling asleep way after midnight (my mind wouldn't stop wandering back to a certain Aussie), and I ended up waking at 6:00 sharp (ugh— I despise school).

After a painful hour of getting ready (after which I was more awake, thankfully), I was ready— or at least, ready enough to maintain my status at school. I was in my school uniform (a white, collared shirt— which was tied a pastel pink ribbon— with a maroon blazer on top, and a knee-length gray skirt), and my black hair was in two pigtail braids, with pastel pink hair clips (with some gems and jewels in it) pinning back some of my curtain bangs.

I giggled to myself as I twirled in front of the mirror. The way I had styled myself today was very... pink, but I liked it. It was cute, and I hoped that Ch— I mean, I was dressing up for myself.

"Yah, Nabi!" My mom called from downstairs. "Why didn't you tell me that your... friend was here to pick you up?" I could hear the question underneath it: you have friends other than Jeongin?

But in all honesty, I was surprised. Who would have come to pick me up this early? "Oh, um, I forgot?" I responded, but it sounded more like a question.

After one more glance in the mirror, I picked up my bag and headed downstairs, curious to see who was standing in my living room. I was taken aback.

"Chan?" I blurted, regretting my choice of words almost immediately after. I could have said you're so sweet for coming, or someone thing how come you're here?, but instead, I had decided to say his name.

My vocabulary astounds me again.

He nodded sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. "Uh... yeah. I picked up Jeongin and thought I could come pick you up too." He glanced at my mom before looking back at me. "I hope that's okay?"

I wanted to scream NO, IT'S NOT OKAY, but the innocent smile on his face instantly made me melt. "Yeah," I managed to reply.

I was going to say something else, but my mom dragged me into the kitchen. "Who's he!" She hissed at me, not bothering to keep her voice down.

What was I supposed to say? "He's my friend, ma," I told her. "He's in the senior class I just joined."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "And you're sure he's just a friend?" She questioned, and I took a double take at the question. He was just a friend... right? When I nodded in response, my mom said, "Well, keep it that way. Men are a waste of time."

Of course that's what she was talking about.

"Yeah, I know," I responded, slightly exasperated. The amount of times I had heard her say this was too much to count. "Can I go now?"

My mother gave me one more disapproving look before nodding and looking away. "Go."

Thank goodness, I thought as I rushed out of the house, grabbing Chan's wrist and dragging him with me. Finally, we were outside, and I saw Jeongin waiting there.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" I thundered, glaring at my best friend. "HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY NOT MY PLACE?"

Jeongin shrunk under my gaze and looked a little scared— and rightfully so. He shouldn't have come to my house without at least informing me first. Let alone letting Chan go in without him.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Chan studying me, trying to understand why I was mad. I eyed him before pulling Jeongin a little bit further from him.

"Innie," I explained, my voice quieter and calmer. "Please, I'm begging you, don't come to my house. You know what my mom is like."

The poor boy looked down to his feet as he mumbled, "I'm sorry, Bibi. Chan just seemed so excited, and I didn't think it would be that bad." I would have scolded him more, but the boy was special to me, and the way his eyes slightly watered and his lips curved downwards hurt me; even though I was mad, I didn't want my baby bread to cry.

"Don't be," I told him with a small smile as I hugged him. "Just don't do it next time, okay?" Jeongin's mood brightened significantly as he squeezed me back.

"I mean, who else am I supposed to stun with my gorgeous looks if not you?" He said before bouncing back to the car. I sighed. There's the Jeongin I know and love. Even if I denied it. I rolled my eyes with the hint of a smile on my face as I followed my friend to Chan's car.

Oh, shit.

Chan.

As if on cue, he spoke up. "Are you okay?" I took a double take. That was a first. When people usually met my parents, they told me about how terrible they were or that sort of shit. But none of them ever asked about me.

I blinked twice before responding, "Well, I mean yeah, I guess. I'm used to it."

I finally mustered up the courage to look at Chan straight in the eyes, and the warmth and concern that I found in them were shocking. "You shouldn't have to be," he muttered. There was a beat of silence, and I expected him to ask me more about my family. Instead, this incredible boy managed to shock me again. "Well... if you need to talk, I'm here, y'know?"

I stopped my jaw from dropping, but that was possibly one of the nicest offers I had ever received from someone (apart from Jeongin, of course). I gave him a small smile. "Thanks, Channie."

Shit.

These nicknames were really falling out of my mouth like the way k-pop rants do. I was going to apologize, but I saw Chan give me a boyish smile (which I returned). "Come on, get in the car," he said, the tips of his ears flushing bright red.

I grinned at him before doing so.

This was going to be fun. 

~~~

A/N: Good morning/evening my sunshines! How are you all doing today? I'm doing okay hehe (wrote two chapters... look forward to an update)! 

Also, do you guys prefer if I write shorter chapters (such as the ones I've written so far), or longer ones? I've been doing shorter chapters because they're quicker to read, but you guys let me (lee) know!!! 

Have a good day/night, sunshine <33