[33] the confession

Nabi's POV

In all honesty, it was kind of anticlimactic. All Changbin said in response was "hello." and he refused to say anything after that. I understand why, but it still stung a bit.

At least it's better than hearing something I didn't want to hear.

After spending 3 minutes and 37 seconds in that room, Hyunjin asked me if I wanted to leave, something that I agreed to happily. It was uncomfortable standing near Changbin, who was eyeing me the entire time. I didn't even want to know what was going through his mind.

When we left the room, Officer Yeonjun didn't say anything. He simply locked the door behind him before leading us back out to the main area, where I saw Mark and Lia. When I saw the dark circles on Lia's flawless face and Mark's bloodshot eyes, I felt like I was going to cry again. They had spent the entirety of the night under stress for me, and yet a smile grew on their face when they saw me. Almost like a movie scene, they ran towards me in what seemed like slow motion.

"Bee!" Mark exclaimed as he hugged, Lia following suit. I buried my face in him and for the first time ever, I felt a spark of something most people call 'family'. "I'm so glad you're not hurt. Not physically, at least."

"I'm sorry," I apologized through the hug, my voice muffled.

Lia spoke up in a tone that was similar to Hyunjin's stern one. "Bae Nabi, this is not your fault. So please, don't apologize. You were the victim here, but not anymore. Everything has been dealt with. You're safe now."

"Actually..." Mark hesitated. "There is one thing left that we need to talk to you about." I pulled out of the hug and studied Mark's face. He looked tired and worried. There was another emotion that was prominent on his face, too. Nervousness.

Hyunjin seemed to understand what Mark was talking about, so he knowingly walked away after giving me a comforting smile and a 'fighting!' fist. I smiled back weakly, apprehensive about what was going to come.

What Mark told me, however, shocked me.

Hyunjin's POV

While Nabi was sleeping, Mark and Lia told me about her whole... parent situation. In all honesty, I was surprised they told me first. I mean, who was I to know about Nabi's personal life? But according to Lia, "I'm special to her," and so I deserved to know because it was quite obvious that we were really close.

I was proud of myself for knowing first. It felt like I got her dad's approval, but like, from Mark and Lia because her actually parents were bitches—

Not now, Hyun.

Right.

I wandered outside the police station now that we were free to go. On my way out, I glanced at a clock and saw it was 8:45 in the morning. What the fuck? Time passed very quickly, apparently.

Realizing that Mark and Lia were probably going to force them to go to school to get a sense of normalcy, I decided to try and cheer up Nabi first. I walked up the street to find an ice cream vendor and bought five sundaes. I paid the man and he thanked my tip gratefully, and I returned the smile, carrying the sundaes back to the police station in a tray.

When I got back, I first ran into Officer Yeonjun; exactly who I wanted to meet. "This is for you, sir," I muttered nervously, offering him a bowl of ice cream.

He laughed lightheartedly and took it. "Mint chocolate! My favourite!" He took a bite of it and smiled. "But why did you get me ice cream?"

"Just a thank you for saving Nabi," I mumbled again, a blush creeping up my cheeks.

The officer gave me a suggestive smirk. "You like her, don't you?" When I nodded mutely, he continued, "Just ask her out. I know she likes you, too."

I thought about it and nodded. "If you insist."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nabi, Lia, and Mark walking towards me. They all had slightly puffy eyes, as though they had been crying, but they seemed happy. I take it that the conversation went well. "Well, uh, Officer, I gotta go—"

He winked at me before shooing me away. "Go get your girl, dude! And thanks for the ice cream!"

I really hope Nabi didn't hear that. I blushed again.

When I finally reached Nabi, she seemed breathless as she greeted me, "Hi."

"Hello, m'lady. Would my lady like some ice cream?" I curtsied dramatically, pleased with myself when she giggled.

"Yes, I would. Thanks, Jinnie," she replied, quickly grabbing one and stuffing ice cream down her face.

I turned to Mark and Lia (who were watching this scene with interest) and offered them some ice cream, too. "I bought you guys some, too."

They grinned at me and took one each. "Thanks, dude," Mark responded, stuffing himself with the ice cream like his cousin.

Lia was more mature about it and squealed, "Thank you!" After taking a bite, though, she tilted her head and looked at me. "When are you gonna ask her out?"

I choked. "What?"

Mark nodded in agreement with his girlfriend. "Yeah, man. Ask her out already. We all know you like each other."

I mumbled in response, "I kinda did. She didn't exactly give me an answer, though..." I was sure my cheeks were bright pink by now."

Lia raised an eyebrow and tutted. "Nabi!" She called out to the girl, who had wandered off and seemed to be thanking Officer Yeonjun. She looked back at us and, after bidding the officer goodbye, she walked back.

"Mhm...?"

No, no, no. Lia, please don't do what I think you're going to do.

The older girl clearly didn't read my thoughts, because she asked Nabi, "When are you going to go out with Hyunjin?"

She's been spending too much time with Yeji.

It was now Nabi's turn to blush furiously. "I— uh, what? Haha, I don't think you know what you're saying."

Mark opened his mouth to say something, but I butted in to save us both from the embarrassment. "Will you go out with me, Nabi?" I asked softly, looking into her eyes.

It would have been a kdrama-worthy scene if we weren't standing at the doorway of a police station while Mark and Lia watched us like a TV show.

Nabi didn't even have to consider it. "Ye— actually." She paused. She spun her finger around, indicating for Mark and Lia not to watch. They pouted but agreed, turning their backs to us.

"So...?"

And then...

She kissed me.

~~~

A/N: Was that too abrupt 💀