22. A Chance

"Faster. Faster", Mehek laughed out loud, enjoying her ride on bicycle while Shaurya was pedalling. He threw a reproachful glance at her but she knew he was enjoying it as much as she did. They both were riding an old bicycle borrowed from the watchman. He was huffing, trying to keep the pace since he was out of practice. "Tired? Don't tell me you lack stamina", she teased while leaning close to him. 

Her back was now pressed to his chest. Few hair strands that escaped her messy bun was tickling him. Despite his attempts to remained stoic, he felt excited. "I have been working out for hours in gym", he countered but stopped to take breaths. "Then what happened to my stallion?", she rubbed his chin and offered juice she was drinking. He sipped from her bottle quickly, "Reason is you". "Am I hot to handle?", she teased. "More like too heavy to handle", he mocked her. "Shaurya!!", she slapped his arm softly. "Behave", he rebuked her playfully, " else I will lose balance and we will both fall down".

Amidst laughter and fund; in some time, they reached the temple. Shaurya explained that they used to visit the temple with her father whenever they came to the farmhouse. "Your favourite", he handed over the sweets distributed by the priest. "Yummy", she hogged on the sweets, even his share. He just watched her joyfully, recalling their childhood when they had been happy without care. She was unable to manage her unruly hair since both her hands were full of sweets so he carefully adjusted them behind her ears. She smiled, clearly savouring his care, "I wish we could remain the same". "Me too", words left his mouth even before he knew.

Her eyes were set on him, undeniably surprised. "I want us to be friends", Shurya was bared his intention, "be together without any malice or bitterness. Just like when we were kids". His words were met with her silence so he took the first step. "Would you like to be my friend?", he asked offering his hand. She nodded her head before shaking hands with him. "I want to see you happy, Shaurya", she started to pour her feelings, "It is hard see you bitter and lost. Even difficult since I know I am the reason of your hardships". He tried to correct but she didn't allow, "I may not recall but I have a strong feeling of guilt. I don't to remember my mistakes but want to do amends. It may be difficult to overlook our past but I beg you not to punish yourself",she held his hand closely, "Promise me, Shaurya. Whatever the future holds for us, you will never allow darkness to swallow yourself". He kept his hand over her, silently agreeing to her request.

Shaurya was waiting for Mehek to finish her bath. Even being married , they never shared a common room till now. Mehek was doing much better now, being able to move around without help. So when she insisted to give leave to her nurse for the weekend, he reluctantly agreed. But once they arrived at the farm house, he couldn't entrust Mehek to her Uncle & Aunty or Nehal. Because, he was more comfortable to take care of her rather than her family members. He leaned closer to the door to ensure that she is fine. Her soft humming assured her well being so he returned to his seat without disturbing her.

"Where is Mehek?", Nehal rushed into their room. Her enthusiasm was hardly hidden. Her sweaty self, soiled clothes and cob webs hanging from her pony tail gave a fair picture that she had been searching for old relics in the farm house. Shaurya simply gestured to bathroom, hushing her excitement. "Oh! I so wanted to give her the key myself", she showed the object to him, "I found the place where Mehek kept her diaries. This is the key for lock". 

Shaurya squashed the strange dread he felt through his body. He didn't wanted old skeletons to come out of the closet when things have finally settled amidst him and Mehek. While he was contemplating how to halt Nehal from handing over the key to Mehek, she herself gave it to him. "Pass it to Mehek", she was scratching herself, "I really need to wash take a bath". She hurried outside even before he could bid her a good night sleep. When bathroom door opened, he hid the key in his pocket without giving Mehek an opportunity to spot it. "Let's watch the movie you wanted to see", he quickly diverted her attention. 

Mehek had dozed off on Shaurya's shoulder even before they reached intermission of the movie. Travel may have tired her. He cautiously made her lay down beside himself after turning off the lights. She soon murmured in her sleep, seeking his warmth. Soon she ended up sleeping on his chest while he caressed her mane. Once he was certain that she was in deep slumber, he got up from their bed. He wanted to check her journals before she finds them out.

Nehal may have brought them out from exile but she was decent enough not to touch them. Dust around the books proved they haven't moved from their place for ages. He picked up the diary kept on top. From appearances, it seemed like the latest one.

Father, this will by the last. I won't be writing for you anymore.

Shaurya froze reading those lines. Many pages before it was torn off ruthlessly as is they didn't matter anymore. Obviously Mehek wanted her father's focus on the particular page. He recalled that her journals were letter to her father. But this one seemed to be a statement from Mehek, a premonition of a storm

With shivering fingers, he turned over to read next pages. His rationale forbidding him while his curiosity got best of those advices.

Today, I met my mother. The woman who gave birth to me. One whom I always blamed to have abandoned me. She didn't deny when I accused her. But she also had the courage to tell me the reason of her actions.

'Don't read further', Shaurya's mind warned him, 'It's between Mehek and her father'. Yet he moved to next page.

Father, you couldn't forget you first love. My mother was an unfortunate woman. She was unable to bear the burden of being in a loveless marriage. I was her last bid to win your favour. When your own child could not gather your love , she accepted defeat and escaped after leaving me behind.

Now whom shall I blame? A woman who was so upset because her husband didn't give her the rightful place in his heart ? Or you, a man who harboured feelings for your lover while ignoring his wife? 

I suspected but now it is clear. I know why you always considered Shaurya above me. Why you consistently favoured him while I was shamed. Why he was kept beside when I was pushed away.

You saw your first love in Shaurya, his mother. Whereas I reminded you of someone who you never cared.

I hate you, Father. I hate Shaurya. I hate my mother. I hate myself.

I will be living to make your life living hell. I am going destroy myself to make you pay.