51

.·:*¨ REAL LIFE ¨*:·.

Austrian Grand Prix, also known as the Red Bull Ring, proved to be a long weekend for both drivers, especially since it was a sprint race weekend. Friday featured just one practice session before the qualifying for the sprint race. On Saturday, there was a second free practice and the actual Sprint race, which was shorter than the traditional races. Finally, on Sunday, just like any other race weekend, the main race took place.

Amidst all the racing action, Alice had a personal mission to accomplish – she needed to go into the Red Bull garage for what she hoped would be the last time in a long while. Charles wanted to be by her side, but the racing schedule made it challenging for him to join her during media days.

With trepidation, Alice stood outside the Red Bull hospitality on Thursday morning. The media day was usually intense for her in her previous role as Max's PR. However, this time, all she had to do was enter and finalize the termination of her contract.

Summoning her courage, she finally entered and found herself in Christian's office, her father and Red Bull team principal. Nervous and unsure, she sat in the chair opposite him, closing the door behind her.

"Alice," Christian said, looking at his daughter. She nodded, too anxious to speak.

"Change that face," he said, surprising her with a smile, which was an unusual sight from him. "I haven't changed my mind about this if that's what you're worried about. I've realized that my relationship with you is more important. I'm sorry it took me so many years to realize it." He reached for a pile of papers on his desk, searching for something. "Here you go. This is your contract. You can read it all you want, and then you can destroy it. There's nothing else holding you back with Red Bull. Once you destroy those papers, you won't be a part of Red Bull anymore." He handed her the papers.

With trembling hands, she took the papers and started reading. It was indeed the contract she had signed months ago when she became Max's PR. She read every part of it, recalling the moments before signing it when she didn't pay close attention and how it had caused her problems in recent months. She observed the papers for a while, questioning why everything was suddenly so easy.

But these were the papers she had signed. These were the papers that had held her back.

"What about the legal part? You can still sue me," she said, still holding the papers, but now looking at her dad.

"I won't do it. Legally, I was the one who fired you, so I can't sue you. Don't worry about that," he reassured her. She nodded, understanding his explanation, and looked back at the papers in her hand.

About to rip them up, she needed to ask him something first. "Why now? After everything, after every time we talked, why do you decide to change your mind?"

"Max talked to me. We just talked, and out of everything, I realized that I am your dad, not your boss, and I need to understand that. I can't keep ruining your life. You are my daughter, and your happiness is my priority, even when it doesn't look like it. I want you to be happy and to have the opportunity to explore new things. Even after all this, you will always have your spot on the team."

With gratitude in her heart, she nodded before ripping the pages, destroying them all before throwing them into the trash bin next to his desk. "Thank you," she whispered, looking at her dad, who was still sitting and observing her. With those words, she walked to the door.

On her way out, she knew she needed to talk to Max. They hadn't seen or talked to each other since the last race weekend back in Silverstone. Thankfully, she knew where to find him. After so many years of working together, she had come to understand Max well, and she knew that on Thursdays, when he didn't need to do any media engagements, he isolated himself in his driver room. That's where Alice headed next.