Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight | Couples Therapy Begins

Date 📆 July 2023

After an hour-long session of Couples Therapy. Joe and Fahayra were waiting to see what the therapist had to say. Was their marriage worth saving?

"Well...After hearing all of that, I believe I know what the root of all your issues is, of course, this isn't just the problem with your relationship but it's a start," Dr. Jeopardi said.

Joe and Fahayra stare at the woman in front of them. "What is it?" Joe asked as he is holding Fahayra's hand tightly.

"What do you mean?" Fahayra asked.

"You two are struggling with communication and how to express yourselves, and that's because you both are trying not to repeat the mistakes that your parents made but ended up making worse mistakes by not understanding that your parents have traumatized you both. Fahayra you want a picture-perfect marriage so you devote yourself to Joe which is a bit overwhelming to him but he can't understand why he's overwhelmed by it because he doesn't know how to communicate with you and you don't know how to do anything with him because you're too afraid that you'll end up like your mother," Dr. Jeopardi explained.

"So, the root of our issues is that we're trying not to be like our parents but because we couldn't communicate that...We just ended up making things worse in our marriage," Joe said.

Dr. Jeopardi smiled.

"Yes, you both have two different ideas on how a marriage should be to survive that you end up hurting each other," Dr. Jeopardi said.

"So is our marriage worth saving?" Fahayra asked her.

She nods.

"Yes, of course," She answered.

Joe squeezes her hand yet again. A small smile on his face.

"But I noticed it seems like you two are competing against each other to prove something," She told them.

"What do you mean?" Joe asked.

"Some of the things you both said today. Well... You two are competing with each other to prove how one loves the other more than the other," She answered.

Fahayra gave the woman a look.

"I don't see it," Fahayra said.

"Of course, you don't because you're doing it through your actions," She said.

Fahayra scoffed.

"So him cheating on me was him competing with me?" Fahayra asked her.

"No he cheated as a way to escape but got stuck," She replied.

"He should have just divorced me," Fahayra said.

Joe stiffened next to her, taking out a deep breath.

"Would you have accepted the divorce if he did?" She asked Fahayra.

Fahayra didn't say anything. She knew she would have fought him.