Chapter 5 - Kayla

For once, my wolf is calm and seems to be thinking. It wants its mate, but having a dog as a mate is not appealing. There is also the big question about children.

I can't have any.

I am also sensing my brother's anguish through our family bond. Blood Alpha Cooper did not know his mate died when he announced they were both mated to the Mahani.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Keith." He must have felt it, too. "Was it before or after your coming of age?"

"After." I could feel his struggle to get that one word out.

Blood Alpha Cooper looked to Alex before holding out his hand to Keith. After a few moments of hesitation, Keith offered his own. I not only could feel the power but physically see it. Keith took a big breath, then released it. He was now completely relaxed.

That's one very incredible power. I wracked my brain on what else I knew about the Mahani powers but came up empty. I decided it was time I spoke up.

"I have questions."

"Of course. Ask." Blood Alpha Cooper leaned forward in his chair, putting his elbows on his knees. He was completely relaxed and seemed eager, which helped my anxiety to fade.

"I was involved in the Wolf Camp deaths eight years ago. I am no longer innocent and can not have children. Would he reject me because of this?" Both my brothers physically winced at my question.

Blood Alpha Cooper probably wasn't expecting such a direct question, but I've tormented myself over this for YEARS. There is no reason to ask other questions and get my hopes up, only to have them dashed.

"No," he said. His face never changed expression, and I just stared as my heart and wolf wrapped themselves around the hope that one word generated. But I was still skeptical.

"You sound so sure. Why?"

"Mahani normally only give birth to one or two children. However, each family normally has six to ten children in it. We adopt constantly. We take in children whose parents have died, children born through rape, and children we save from child slavery. Not being able to give birth is not an issue. If you can't tolerate children, that may be an issue, but it would depend upon your mate."

My heart soared at this news. I then thought about what happened today. He doesn't have my rank and, with that, my strength. What did he go through when I was attacked?

"Did he suffer through what happened to me, just as I did today?"

"He did. He was raised in a different Mahani tribe and transferred over when one of my people retired. For that reason, we did not realize you were mates. Once your Blood Alpha called, I checked his medical records, and the dates coincided. He almost died, but when you lived, so did he."

"Does he want to meet me?" I whispered. My stress and emotions were getting the best of me. I was also relieved to feel that my wolf wanted to meet him. It would kill me to get to that point and have her reject my mate.

"He has traveled back to his birth tribe every three months, faithfully, since he came here. He was searching for you."

He was looking for me! That took a moment to sink in.

Blood Alpha Cooper seemed so happy with my questions and interest, which brought me back to his reasons for rejection. I needed to address those.

"Blood Alpha Cooper, you stated he is not my rank, and his shift looks like a dog. Can you give me more personal information on my mate?"

His smile faltered a bit, but he recovered it well.

"He is Gamma One, the top psychiatrist within my tribe. He is a year older than you and currently has three children from the death of his brother. His shift looks like an oversized Australian Shepherd."

My wolf whined at the thought that we already had three children, as she thought she would never have any pups to raise. She wanted to go to him right now!

"Could you show me what he and his shift look like?" I was too curious not to ask.

He looked to my Blood Alpha for permission. Once it was granted, I started to reach my hand out but stopped as images appeared in my head.

Dark hair cut a bit long, covered his forehead, and entered his baby-blue eyes. His face was slightly narrowed with high cheekbones and full lips. My Goddess, he is gorgeous!

The following image was of the most beautiful wolf I had ever seen. He was white with black patches and black ears and paws: a big bushy tail and those same sky-blue eyes.

It took me a moment to regain my composure, and my Blood Alpha took over the conversation.

"Sam, you said they come live with the pack. So he would move here with the children? Would he leave the Mahani?"

"He and his children would move here. He has expressed that once he finds his mate, he would work through video, and if physically needed, he could teleport through an Alpha ring. He had no plans to leave my tribe."

My father interjected here. The shock of the situation is probably wearing off the others.

"You said your families are targets for your enemies. You also mentioned adopting children of those who died. How much danger will my daughter be in?"

"That depends on the pack. The Sinclair pack is isolated and well-protected by current, up-to-date safety measures. You will also notice a stranger because of your ownership of your lands. If she chooses to become a Mahani, she can use the portals to go with her mate; however, he is not in dangerous situations.

"The main issue we have seen reoccurring is angry or jealous pack members going after the members of the family or working with the enemies to remove them. Some feel it's an embarrassment and will not stop until they are gone. Others welcome them with open arms."

"What did you mean by 'become a Mahani'?" This question was from my mother, and I was interested in the answer.

"If a pack wolf chooses to accept a Mahani as their mate, this option is given. In the event of a high-ranking Mahani, it becomes mandatory. Mates, especially fated mates, can pull our powers through the mate bond. Becoming a Mahani prevents abuse of that power by them or others."

"How does it prevent that?" Keith asked.

"Alpha commands do not work on the Mahani. Only a command from a tribe Blood Alpha, will be obeyed without question," Alex said.

"The Moon Goddess also designed us not to abuse our powers. Pack wolves are not."

While they digested that information, I talked to my wolf. She wasn't too happy about the possibility of looking like a dog, but she wanted her mate and the children.

So did I.

"When can I meet him?"

*******

You are going to love this... I hope.
--April