Chapter 8 - Nicolas

Before I opened my eyes, three things stood out.

The first is the smell of the medical ward. I've been here enough to know the smell of the cleaners and the scent of pain surrounding this place.

The second is how uncomfortable this bed is. I do not want to be here long.

The third and most concerning is how calm my wolf is. He should have woken me long ago. I nudged him, and he seemed to raise his sleepy eyes to me. The next moment, he sent images of Blood Alpha Cooper arriving and what was said.

My soul felt as if it was being ripped out.

I let the tears fall. If not for the children, I would have crawled into a ball and let my life go. But I can't.

In the past few hours, not only was I raped by someone who could not comprehend the word 'no,' but my Alpha mate was going to reject me. It's extremely rare for Alphas to approve a Mahani-destined mate, but to find her the way I did? My chances are zero.

I sobbed into my pillow without bothering to open my eyes. I can sense no one in the room, but I wouldn't have cared if there was. My life, as I knew it, was over.

After about an hour, I started deep breathing exercises, trying to get myself under control. As much as I wanted to shut down, I have children and a job to do.

Once the tears stopped and I could breathe easier, I tried getting out of bed but had no strength. Between the drugs and my breakdown, I could barely lift my hands.

I could feel Blood Alpha Cooper coming closer, and turned my face away. He probably had news from my birth tribe about my mate. I was just done.

"Nicolas, I know you're awake. I need to talk to you.

I learned then that it's impossible to ignore a Blood Alpha. My wolf wouldn't allow it. Even though I knew the heartache and pain coming, my wolf would hold out hope until the actual rejection.

I turned to look at him, knowing my eyes would be red and my face a mess. He had a smile on his face that reached his eyes.

Why?

"I can feel your confusion, my friend."

"Why are you happy?!" I cried. "My life was destroyed today!"

His smile faded at the pain I was releasing in my voice and my scent.

"Why do you think your life was destroyed? You are alive. You have your children," he took a big breath before the smile returned. "And your mate wants to meet you tomorrow. I've arranged a Mate Meet."

My wolf howled with joy, and I winced at the noise in my head but didn't take my eyes off my Blood Alpha.

"She agreed to meet me? My wolf said she's an Alpha." I questioned.

"She is."

"I don't understand. Does she want to meet me to reject me?"

"No, Nicolas. She doesn't."

I couldn't help but stare. My mate wants to meet me—my mate.

I stared at him as my wolf went crazy. The pain in my ears and head barely registered now.

"She wants to meet me," I said in a monotone voice.

The Blood Alpha smiled wider as he shook his head up and down slowly. His smile then dimmed a bit.

"Normally, I like these Meets to be the first you know of each other, but this circumstance is different as you have both gone through trauma. So, I will offer you the file we have on her, with her name redacted."

Names are never mentioned before a Mate Meet. This prevents a rejection that can kill those involved. When the mates are within the same pack, they will feel it right after their coming of age and sometimes reject them based on looks or social status. The wolves turn on each other because of the severity of the pain, causing a spontaneous shift. Usually, one or both die.

"She asked many questions during our talk, and I did allow her to see my images of you and your wolf. She also knows your rank, profession, and that you have children."

"What was her reaction to the children?" I was afraid of the answer. I don't know if I could give them up.

"Her wolf was thrilled. She hid it well, but I believe her human side is scared. You see, she can't have pups of her own."

"Wait. Did you talk to her? Why wasn't it Blood Alpha Kelly?"

"She lives in my territory, Nicolas. You were always meant to be here."

My mind went round and round with that statement. I loved the tribe I grew up in. My family was fantastic and gave me the love and attention I needed. They pushed me when I needed it and backed off when I needed it, too. I miss them fiercely, but I felt the pull to come here. I thought the Moon Goddess needed my skills here, but it wasn't. It was the mate bond.

"I would like to see the file. Since you showed her images of me, can I see images of her?"

"Sure."

Within seconds, images of a young woman with brownish-blonde hair in a long braid flooded my mind. Her eyes were a deep brown, and her face rounded. She's beautiful. My mate!

"A picture of her and her wolf from 8 years ago is in the file. I did not see her wolf today, so you can see those."

I can't believe it. I'm going to meet my mate tomorrow!

My wolf suddenly jumped up and sent me images of the children. It was time to pick them up.

"Don't worry about the pups. Grace and Doc will care for them until after the Mate Meet."

I turned back to my Blood Alpha and smiled my first smile of the day.

"Goddess knows what Doc will teach them today."

Maybe, just maybe, my life isn't over.

*******

This chapter took some work to write for some reason. I deleted it three times!
--April