Chapter 42 - Lachlan

Grace and I changed into comfortable clothes and rested on my bed. I was shocked at how easy it was to fall asleep with her in my arms. The tingles felt so good. I hope I never get used to them. I woke to my sister's voice in my head.

"Time to get up, brother. Your mate must eat lunch since she didn't eat much at breakfast."

"She didn't eat breakfast?"

"Doc told Nicolas she only took four bites. She was too nervous." Kayla revealed as my stomach grumbled. I had skipped my morning meal for the same reason.

"I'll wake her now." I switched my mind link to my mate. "Time to get up, Grace," I said gently. Her wolf's head shot up, but the human side was slower, as Grace slowly stretched with a whine before rubbing her eyes. So cute!

"Why?" She said aloud as she blinked her eyes open.

"Time to eat lunch." I felt the sudden stress go through her. "Don't worry. Nicolas explained how you eat. We will take it one step at a time." I pulled her onto my lap and rubbed her back.

Since we were both dressed in sweats, I carried her right out of bed and towards the door.

"Bathroom, first?" She inquired sheepishly. I mentally slapped myself as I changed direction and set her on her feet outside the door.

Once the necessities were done, I picked her back up and headed out. When we arrived in the dining hall, my family was already seated. I shifted her to my side with one hand and picked up a plate with the other.

"Is there anything new you would like to try?" I asked, motioning towards all the trays set up. As she used her nose to determine if anything appealed, I started loading my plate with the things I wanted, and along the edges, I put simple things Nicolas said she would eat.

"I'd like to try that one," she pointed to a cinnamon bread dessert.

"Of course," I responded as I put a small piece on the plate. I was warned not to put large portions of anything before her.

As we agreed, Nicolas was running interference on the mindlink before anyone said or did anything that would trigger her so I could focus on getting her to eat.

In the time it took her to chew and swallow one bite, I ate about five, and I was not eating quickly, thinking to make her more comfortable. While this was explained to me days ago, seeing it in reality was much worse. I had counted how many bites of food she took before saying she was full. Twelve.

"Good job, Bluey! You must have been hungry." Nicolas praised her with a huge smile that matched his eyes.

"I was too anxious to eat breakfast," she answered.

"Bluey?" My mother asked. "I thought her nickname was Elf."

"He's the only one that calls me that," Grace answered. "I don't mind."

"Well, you did good, dear. Would you like something different to drink? You didn't touch yours." My mother asked as Grace had pushed her water glass away during the meal. I noticed it, too.

"No, thank you. I'll drink it now. I didn't want to fill up on liquid before eating." She picked up the glass and drained half of it.

Everyone was eating and conversing, not paying attention to us, which I was thankful for. Her eyes suddenly glowed as she turned to me.

"I need to get to my laptop. It's in my bag. Can we go back upstairs?" I could feel her mind was suddenly full; most of it was gibberish.

"Sure." We said our goodbyes and went back to my room. She squirmed out of my arms and grabbed her computer before getting onto the bed.

"You can use my desk if you want," I suggested, figuring she would be more comfortable.

"No, thank you." I watched her mind and emotions through our bond as she started to type. It didn't take long to realize it wasn't what I thought. It was computer language. "I need another laptop with extra RAM to run another program."

Since I needed to figure out what ram was, I called Keith. Within minutes, Keith had taken over hers, and she was typing on his. It was incredible to watch with all my senses honed in on her. Her brain almost seems to run differently.

"I just realized something," Keith linked me, I'm assuming not to distract her. "She's Grace Cooper." His voice showed his shock and admiration, even in the mindlink.

My puzzlement was evident by the look on my face.

"Grace Cooper is one of the best coders in the world. Her hacker name is Elfpup."

"Hacker?"

"Yes. It's the slang term for a coder who can override systems. That's what she's doing now."

"Got it!" She yelled, making my brother and me jump. "Doc, are you getting this?"

I glanced over and saw Doc in the bottom corner of her screen.

"I'll get a team together. You and Keith keep an eye on the screens. I need to know if anyone comes or goes." Doc said as her eyes lit up.

Over the next few minutes, what I saw horrified me. Two male wolves were beating and whipping a petite female, obviously an Omega, and preening for the camera pointed at them.

Even though only about 20 minutes passed, Keith and I flinched at every hit she took while Grace never moved.

"You need to move, Doc! One is starting to undress!" She yelled. I hadn't noticed him as he was standing against the wall, not participating.

My eyes glued to him as he motioned the others away, his member showing his arousal. Just as he reached her, she flinched away. I have a terrible feeling this is not the first time they've done this to her.

Suddenly, everyone's head turned toward the door. Before anyone could move, it broke from its hinges and landed on one of the men in the room.

I saw Doc and several others come through, and within seconds, all the men were on the ground. I wasn't sure if they were dead or not. I hoped they were.

"They are alive." My girl said, feeling my thoughts now that she wasn't focused on the screen. "They will go to the cells. The location of the Omega is pretty close to here. Do you think the Blood Alpha will let us bring her to your infirmary? Maybe to stabilize? She's in bad shape." While Keith contacted Alex, I searched the mate bond for signs of distress.

My little one does this daily, and there is just relief that the girl is out and alive. However, my nerves are shot, and she can feel it. She reaches for me and pulls my nose into her shoulder.

"The Blood Alpha said yes," Keith interjected, his eyes never leaving the screen as medical personnel worked on the girl.

"I'm so sorry. We grew up with this. I forgot that you didn't." Her bond was full of emotions.

Her heartbreak over causing me distress redirected my thoughts as I pulled her in tighter and kissed the top of her head. I said out loud the first thing that came to my mind.

"I'm so proud to be your mate."

*******

Our little Elf has skills... --April