Chapter 43 - Keith

My wolf and I are both agitated over what we saw. Once the medics moved the Omega out of the room, I was on my feet and running for the infirmary. They were bringing her here.

"Medical emergency en route by air! Six minutes! Clear the helipad area now!" I yelled through the link to those in charge of that area as I ran. "Geddes, make sure a surgical team is ready! The Omega is critical."

"We're ready. Any information?"

"She looks young. She was beaten and whipped. I believe she's been raped too. She looks starved." My heart was breaking as I mindlinked our doctor. How could the Mahani do this day after day?!

My adrenaline was running on overtime, and I felt like I couldn't calm down. I paced as it seemed to take forever for the helicopter to arrive.

Our medical team got her out with two Mahani helping. Doc was the pilot. Most of the words going back and forth between them were unknown to me, but my eyes were glued to the she-wolf who was awake and scared.

"Lass, can you give me your name?" Geddes asked her, his tone light and friendly. She just whimpered in response and tried to crawl into a ball.

"I got this." Doc turned to one of her people, who nodded. A thick blanket was grabbed as Doc shifted. The Mahani, who I could now smell as a Gamma, picked her up with the blanket and settled her on the bed with the injured wolf.

Doc's puppy was pure white with bright blue eyes. The injured girl fixated on the puppy as she reached out to touch it. She was calmer within seconds but still shaking.

The Gamma reached over, also petting the puppy. I could feel the power floating through the air.

"Her pain is everywhere. Primarily her back and ribs." The Gamma stated. "I can't get much else as her memories are overwhelming her."

Geddes gave her something through the IV the Mahani had put in, and the girl visibly relaxed, still holding on to Doc, who had curled up by her neck.

They put her on her stomach before pulling the sheets down that she had been wrapped in for transport. The damage was horrifying. My eyes were fixated on the dried blood on her buttocks and thighs.

"Where's my Blood work? We need to get her into surgery now."

******

Doc and the Gamma sat with me in the waiting room. The other Mahani is a surgical nurse/medic and was with the surgical team.

"Can you tell me anything?" I asked softly.

"Someone went to the train station to pick up family visiting. They overheard men discussing a girl sold to pay off her brother's debt. The conversation mentioned how he had used her as a punching bag for many years." Doc's voice was just as soft, almost like we didn't want to disturb the air around us. "It took a few hours for us to locate the brother, then to question him on who bought her."

"Where is he now?" I tried not to let my voice betray my rage, but I'm sure she felt it.

"He's in the cells, along with those that did this to her. Her mate was another Omega, and her brother killed him when he tried to rescue her." She said sadly. "As soon as she is stable enough to travel, we will take her to one of our hospitals. We have several made especially for wolves rescued from these situations."

"She is staying here. Nicolas can help her." The reaction was instinctive, my wolf guiding me. I don't know if the Blood Alpha would allow it, but I will find a way. "What's her name?"

Both Mahani were staring at me, and I could feel power rolling off them both.

"Aubrey."

*******

When we were told she would live and was in the recovery room, I went straight there, growling at anyone who tried to stop me. She looked so small, and her skin was so pale. My wolf whimpered and nudged me to go closer and take her hand. She was awake and scared.

"Hi. I'm Keith." I said softly. "You are in the infirmary at Sinclair Pack. You are safe now. No one will hit you or force you ever again." I squeezed her hand a bit to try to get my point across.

"I don't understand." Her voice was rough like her throat was raw.

"The Mahani rescued you. Your condition was unstable, and we were close, so they brought you here." I did my best to keep my voice as calm as possible, instinctively knowing she would react to any negative emotion.

"My brother will kill them for rescuing me. He's done it before. I'm not worth it." Her words tore at my soul.

"Your brother is in the Mahani cells and will go before the Council for punishment. The case they have against him carries a death sentence. Between your abuse, killing your mate, and selling you... he won't live out the week." I watched her eyes as she realized I knew everything.

"I still don't understand. I'm an Omega. Why would they kill him? We are supposed to be used in this way." Her words pushed my wolf to the surface, and I had to close my eyes and force him back down. When I reopened them, she watched me carefully but didn't seem scared.

"Who told you Omegas are supposed to be used? That's a lie. Omegas are supposed to be treated like all other wolves. My mother is an Omega, and our whole pack loves her." I smelled no pack link on her, but her brother may have severed it somehow. "Are you in a pack?"

"I think my brother is. I was sent to him when rogues killed off my pack. I was very young, and the people who survived all went somewhere. He kept me locked inside, and I didn't go to school. He said no one wanted me because I was useless, and then when my wolf emerged, he explained that they must have sensed my Omega rank because they were not worth the dirt on the ground." Her voice was barely a whisper, but I heard every word.

"He lied so you wouldn't fight back." I saw her eyes tearing up, and I squeezed her hand again. "You are safe here. I'll ask my mom to stop by so you can see proof with your own eyes." A few tears fell down her face.

"Where will I go from here? Will they sell me again?"

"It's illegal to sell someone. So, no. Let's focus on getting you healthy so your wolf can heal you. Then we can discuss options on where you want to go."

Her face showed her bewilderment. This was going to be a long road for her. My wolf nudged me again.

He wants to keep her.

*******

This chapter broke my heart. I didn't expect it to be like this. Sometimes, this book writes itself. --April