Chapter 14 - Evan

We all ran back to our pack as fast as we could, dodging trees and jumping anything in our way. While it only took a few minutes, it seemed like forever.

My best friend, Amanda, was critical. She collapsed five days ago at a shopping mall, and the doctors aren't exactly sure what's wrong with her. She can't speak, and her mindlink is unstable. I can get images here and there, but they make no sense.

Obviously, she's under an Alpha command, but we need help figuring out how or why. Our Blood Alpha tried to reverse it, but it didn't work, and she's getting worse.

Amanda is one of our medics and is significantly loved within my pack. I can't understand why someone would do this to her! She wouldn't hurt a fly! She's slowly dying, and I feel so helpless!

My mother was waiting at the door of our infirmary with a set of clothes for me.

"What's happening?!" I demanded.

"I think it's time to say goodbye, Evan." She said sadly.

"No. I'm calling Doc. Maybe the Mahani can help. They are at the Sinclair Pack right now." I answered.

"You know Blood Alpha Montross will not approve that. You are not allowed to contact them."

I didn't care at this point. It was worth whatever punishment I got if it saved Amanda. I may not have been able to save my little Megan, my mate, but I'll be damned if I lose someone else.

I ran up to my room to grab my phone and called Doc.

"This is Delta Four. How can I help you, Evan? Doc is on a mission."

"I know she's at the Sinclair pack. I was just there. She said if I needed help to ask, and I'm asking."

"What's happening?"

I told her all about Amanda and that she was dying. "Please! Can you stop an Alpha command when my Blood Alpha couldn't?"

"Hold on, let me ask Blood Alpha Cooper. Why didn't Blood Alpha Montross contact us before now? You know he's going to ask."

"I don't know! He's willing to let her die rather than ask for help!" I yelled into the phone.

"Hold on, Evan. Don't hang up, okay?"

"I won't. "

The next couple of minutes felt like hours. I wasn't expecting the next voice.

"Evan, are you still there?" asked Blood Alpha Cooper.

"I'm here. Can you help?"

"There was bad blood between us and the Montross pack a few generations ago, and we aren't allowed on your land. We would only be able to help if Amanda was brought to us. And the repercussions could be exile for her and whoever helps her." he said gravely.

"So if I bring her to you, you will try to help her, but we probably will be rogues after? I can live with that. I'm leaving anyway if she dies because he let her die."

He said nothing as my mind raced. How can I get her there alone? She's unconscious. Would the Sinclair Blood Alpha get involved?

"Tell me how to get her to you, and I'll do it."

"If you want this, here's what to do..."

*******

I set everything up, then returned to the infirmary to find several people in the room, including my mother. I pulled her to the side and hugged her as we mindlinked.

"I love you so much and need you to trust me. Can you get these people out of here so I am alone with Amanda? I'm taking her out of here."

"Can the Mahani help?"

"Yes. But they are forbidden to enter our land, so I must remove her. I'm not telling you where so you can't be forced to tell HIM,"  I said. In letting her die, he was no longer my Blood Alpha. I'm done here.

"I love you. Be careful and let me know what happens. Promise me."

"Promise."

True to her word, my mother got everyone out of the room. I walked to the bed and held her hand. I waited a minute for the hallways to clear.

I gathered my best friend into my arms and carried her to my car, only to find the Blood Alpha's son leaning on the passenger side door. He's only 12 and hasn't come into his wolf yet, but because of his size, it's assumed he is the next Blood Alpha.

Silently, he opened the car's back door and motioned me to put her inside. It took me a moment to regain my wits, and I carefully put her in. He shook my hand and walked away.

If his father banishes me from the pack, I could return once he takes over. It's a nice thought, but I have more significant issues right now.

I jumped in the driver's seat and left my pack, maybe for the last time. I didn't look back. I looked straight in front of me, just like Doc taught me after the massacre when I couldn't save Megan.

Don't look back, she told me. The what-ifs will eat your soul. She was right.

I drove to the first human town, about an hour away. Doc and Blood Alpha Cooper were waiting in an abandoned gas station parking lot.

He opened the back door and took her hand in his.

"He needs to contact her wolf first. Then, he can release the Alpha command if there is one. We have a med van in route. They should be here in a minute." Doc told me.

Amanda let out a whimper that was half human and half wolf. I could feel the power flowing through the car. I wanted to reach back and touch her, but I knew not to, instinctively. Not a word was uttered as I watched her for any sign of the danger being over.

Come on, Amanda! I need you to live!

As a med van pulled up, I saw her eyes flicker open. She looked to Blood Alpha Cooper and then over to me.

"Thank you," she squeaked out.

*******

YEAH! Evan saved her! Did you figure out who he is?
--April