Chapter 25 - Lachlan

My first sight of my mate is forever burned into my memory.

She has long, curly red hair. Her stature is small; the top of her head would barely reach my shoulders, and I'm sure my hands could span her waist. Her face was rounded with bright green eyes. She had a red teddy bear in her arms; I assumed it was a gift for the children.

I'll never forget the terror in her eyes when she saw me. In those few seconds, I wondered how strong her wolf was to seek me out.

Then she shifted.

Her puppy yelped in distress, and I could feel the overwhelming fear go through her before the portal closed. She's not just an Alpha. She's an Elemental.

My mate is one of the elite, the most powerful wolves alive--and the most hunted.

I could never keep her safe.

My wolf softly spoke through me.

"Mate."

He knew it, too.

My heart and soul shattered at that moment.

Now that I've seen her, it's worse. Before, I could give silent comfort to her unknown wolf, but now that I know it's a puppy, my wolf's instincts to protect are kicking in.

But I can't protect her. She'll be hunted and killed. And I'll die with her.

A surge of power made me step back. I caught myself before I fell to my knees.

"We need to talk."

It took me a second to realize it was Blood Alpha Cooper.

"Kayla, have the boxes brought through. Blood Alpha Cooper, let's walk over to the trees." My Blood Alpha stated.

I couldn't move.

Alex had to grab me to put my body in motion. For the first time, I suddenly wanted to run away. Was it the situation or the power rolling off the Mahani Blood Alpha?

A bit of both, I think.

"If you didn't contact me today, I would have called you. We wanted a meeting to discuss the safety of Lachlan's mate. Before we go further, can you lower your aura?"

Blood Alpha Cooper took a step away, leaned his forehead against a tree, and took a deep breath. His other daughter, Alpha Two -- Leah, walked up beside him.

Within a few seconds, the air became easier to breathe, and I could move on my own again. That's one wicked power. I've been around many Blood Alphas, and none could stop me from breathing with only their aura.

"Blood Alpha Sinclair, we apologize for coming onto your land without permission. Please understand the situation is unusual," she said.

"I understand entirely. Sam, are you well?" He asked as he took a step closer to the other Blood Alpha.

"No, I'm not. I didn't expect this." He was visibly upset, but Alex continued.

"I know Elementals are usually rejected to keep them safe. Is there a way around that? Lachlan wants his mate but fears for her safety. If he becomes a Mahani, it will be evident to the packs we deal with, and he wouldn't be able to kill to protect her or the pack. He's afraid if he accepts her, she will get killed."

"It sounds like you knew who she was before you met her," Leah said, looking at me.

"I was pretty sure she was an Alpha, so I would have to become a Mahani," I said softly.

Blood Alpha Cooper lifted his head and stared hard at me.

"What made you assume that?" he questioned roughly.

A single tear slid down my cheek as I responded.

"I've had her nightmares since she came of age. Her wolf would have to be strong to project those."

"Oh, my Goddess. I'm so sorry, Lachlan." His hands came up to cover his face. "I didn't know she could do that. It's been seen in the past, but we never thought--"

He stopped talking, and I saw him debating what to say next.

"We need time to absorb this and research what could be done," Leah said.

Her father turned to her. "What are you thinking?"

"Besides the obvious of keeping them apart with no rejection? I remember hearing of a similar situation in two other tribes within the last decade. I want to discover what they did, what worked, and what didn't." She responded.

While Blood Alpha Cooper seemed to think on this, my Blood Alpha needed clarification.

"Why would we just keep them apart? If they can't mate, why wouldn't he reject her now that he knows who she is?"

"He can't reject her." They both said in unison.

At that point, I interjected my thoughts on this. "I wouldn't do that to her. My wolf could not give her that pain after what she's already been through. And thank you for finding her and saving her from where she was." I said in a low voice.

"I understand how you feel, Lachlan. But that might change over time. You will feel her for years. Why can't he reject her?" Alex asked as he turned away from me and back to the Mahani.

There was no way I would do that to my little red-haired girl. She looked so adorable standing there with the stuffed animal in her arms. I know I'll dream of that for the rest of my life. At that moment, I realized I would never make a choice mate. If I can't have my fated one, my wolf will never accept another, even after the mate bond fades. I wouldn't either.

"She would die." Blood Alpha Cooper said as if in pain.

"What do you mean? Why would my mate die?!" My voice rose as my wolf and I were furious.

My adorable little mate... No. She won't die. I won't allow it.

"It's a bit more complicated than a regular fated mate," Leah stated.

"Explain it!" I demanded.

Leah's eyes glowed as she looked at her father. After a few seconds, my patience was gone.

"What is it?!" I yelled.

"Oh, no," Alex said softly.

Looking at him, I could tell he had figured it out. He looked sad, which started to scare me.

"What?!"

Blood Alpha Alex Sinclair looked to the sky before turning to look at the portal, which had people carrying boxes through and setting them on the ground by the door, before turning back to me.

"Only one type of wolf will instantly die from rejection."

Blood Alpha Cooper looked to him, then to me.

I knew the answer but didn't want to accept it: her size, the terror upon meeting me, the teddy bear. I answered my own question.

"She's a Little."

*******

This chapter took days to write as I deleted and moved paragraphs around. I rewrote certain areas repeatedly. Please let me know if it doesn't flow correctly.
--April