Chapter 9 - Kayla

My anxiety was high, and I was starting to snap at people. I decided to remove myself from others before a fight happened.

"Amber, take over for the day," I said tightly. "I'm making a mess out of it."

"Kayla, how about you go for a run? The feel of the wind and scents of the forest should help." She suggested.

Amber arrived a few years ago, a fated mate to one of our warriors. Her skills in the kitchen made her one of my top people within months. She is also intelligent and has asked to streamline the schedules of all the staff, making my job easier as head of the castle. I also consider her a good friend.

"That is a good idea. Maybe she will calm down if I let her free for a bit. I'm nervous enough about meeting my mate, but she is making me crazy."

"How are you feeling about the Mate Meet?" she asked softly.

"I've been assured he won't reject me, but I just..." My voice drifted off as I could not put my feelings into words.

"I know. Even though it's evening, tomorrow feels a long way away. Breathe and run. You will feel better after, or at least tired enough to sleep."

I nodded to her and left the kitchen towards my room. If I'm going to have an instant family, I will need to move to another wing. I could use the space we grew up in. My wolf was excited to create a den for its young.

"Not yet," I told her.

Lachlan and Keith were entering the main staircase from the third floor as I was starting up.

"Where are you headed?" Lachlan asked.

"I'm going for a run."

Wait for it...

"I'll join you. We can talk while our wolves enjoy themselves." Always the protector.

"I don't need a babysitter, Brother." I sighed.

"Keith and I just spent hours in the old library. You may want to hear some of the information we found on the Mahani."

He had my attention as well as that of my wolf. "Give me time to change," I said as I hurried my steps.

My brothers have no issue stripping naked before shifting, even in public, but I did. I have robes that will pull apart when I shift, without ripping my clothing. If I return to them after, I can step behind a tree and put them back on.

After what happened to me, I refused to be naked in public. Most she-wolves don't care, as another male in our pack would never touch them, but I can't trust anyone again.

We met at the side entrance. As we walked towards the forest, I stared at my brother. He looked like his mind was moving rapidly and possibly in circles.

"Talk," I said. He turned to me and then looked to the sky.

"Most of the information we found is sad. They are mistreated and hunted. Their children are kidnapped, tortured, and sold before being killed," he said in short sentences, emphasizing each one. "The Moon Goddess gave the Wolf world these protectors to keep us safe, yet we fight them and treat them lower than an insect on the ground."

His words hurt me, and I noticed he raised his hand and rubbed his chest. His mate is being treated this way, too.

In the last few hours, I had gone through many emotions, and all my old fears are letting me know they are alive, even though I had attempted to smother them over the past eight years.

I had also spent some of that time thinking of my brothers and how they were taking this turn of events. Keith may finally get the answers that have plagued him over the mysterious Holly, but Lachlan - he will have to come to terms with his mate being stronger than him. His wolf is the ultimate protector, which is how he got the position of second in command. I wonder if he will accept her.

"What are your thoughts on your mate?" I asked tentatively. If he didn't answer, I would leave it alone for now.

"I want to protect her!" he yelled, making me jump. "How can she be treated like this?! She is being hunted and tortured for doing her job. A job the Moon Goddess gave her - not even one she chose!"

I never saw that coming.

"How will you feel if she is of the higher ranks?" I pushed.

"My wolf can't become a dog. The other packs will know who she is. So while my wolf and I want to protect her... I hope she's a lower rank than me. I don't want to reject her."

Sensing his misery, I changed the topic as we reached the tree line.

"Did you find out anything about their powers?"

He took a calming breath before answering. Then he looked at my robe and smirked.

"You won't need those anymore."

"What do you mean? Even with a mate, I'm not stripping in front of anyone."

"Mahani shift with their clothes on. It's one of their powers. They also keep anything they are holding, like a backpack or weapon. From what we read, it's the power most used by mates of the Mahani."

My eyes went wide at this information.

"What else?" I asked as he started to strip.

"Get into your wolf form. We can talk more as we run."

We did just that. Lachlan and I ran for several hours as he told me everything they found out about the Mahani.

He was correct about most of it being sad. By the time we returned, it was dark, and I was exhausted. My wolf was determined to keep her mate and children safe, while I was still concerned he would reject me.

I know what the Blood Alpha said and what Lachlan found out. They only reject their mates if they're evil.

I just can't let go of my fears. I've had them too long.

*******

I think he has a secret...
--April