Chapter 44 - Grace

I kept in contact with Doc throughout the day. I'm not surprised that Keith is not leaving the rescued girl. The first person you help save is typically the one you latch onto. I'm still friends with mine. But Gamma Two is stating his wolf is involved. I wonder if his wolf is acting on the protective instincts this family seems to have in spades.

I spent the afternoon with my mate. I'm still so emotional at having my mate accept me. I truly believed that if we ever met, I would die. Instead, I am relishing the feeling across my skin when he touches me. I was told about these tingles but never thought I would feel them.

While my body is happy, my brain wants to let my Little side loose. I trust Lachlan completely, but I must stay cautious of the others around me. Nicolas told me a few don't like a Mahani being a part of this pack, but even then, those wolves were unhappy, not reactive. As a powerful Gamma, he can sense malice and hatred. He said he didn't feel either.

Nicolas made sure to spend time with as many pack members as possible since their arrival, thinking to read them and put them at ease with his presence. He assured me there was no adverse reaction at my Mate Meet. Since there are no Littles in this pack, they all seemed thrilled to have one finally. This information is probably why my brain wants to relax and be myself.

"You can let your Little side out for a while, you know. You are perfectly safe here."  While I am used to Leah and my dad in my head, I usually know they are there. Lachlan goes unnoticed because of the mate bond. He did have a point, though. I could play before the ceremony, where I must stay in adult headspace. It would relax me, too. But I don't have any toys here.

"Do you have a daycare for the older pups?" I asked shyly.

"We do. The school will let out in a few minutes, so it will be full of kids. Would you like to go, even if it's just for an hour or so?" He was pushing, and honestly, I needed it. My nerves were a little stressed after eating in front of everyone and watching the Omega get beaten.

I smiled as he leaned in and nuzzled my cheek with his nose, although I had a big question for him. My wolf is a bit upset with his.

"Lachlan, how does your wolf feel about my puppy? She tries snuggling up to him, but he keeps pulling back."

"Right now, he fears scaring her. They need to spend time together, which we can do once the Alpha commands are lifted. And how come I can't feel your second wolf? Nicolas said all Elementals have two." He asked as he adjusted me on his lap. We were currently in a recliner in a common room, which is why we are talking through the bond.

"I have two wolf sizes, so we think of it as two wolves, but in reality, it's just my puppy. She has the power to show her bigger self when needed. But even her bigger self is only the size of a normal wild wolf. Well, maybe a bit bigger, but not by much." I tried to explain as best I could, but it would be better to show him when we can shift. "We call it a shift to a puppy and a transformation to the bigger wolf. We have to shift regularly like every wolf, but we don't have to transform. If an Elemental does not have a Mahani Blood Alpha to help them transform, they can go their whole lives without ever doing it. We also don't have access to our element until we transform, but we will still have our basic Mahani powers."

"Well, hello, you two. How are you doing?" Asked the Blood Alpha as he walked into the room.

"Just relaxing for a bit," Lachlan answered quickly as the powerful man sat across from us. You could feel the easy friendship between the two.

"Can you tell me about earlier? Keith's wolf is not allowing any males in the room with the she-wolf Doc brought in." He leaned forward, obviously interested in my answer.

"Doc got a call on the helpline that his Beta's in-laws overheard a conversation about a she-wolf being sold. Once she finished the initial investigation, she asked me to locate them. I needed another computer so Keith helped me. I'm sorry, but he saw what they were doing to her before Doc arrived." I told him while Lachlan rubbed my belly. I love belly rubs, even in human form.

"He doesn't want to release her to the Mahani."

"Nicolas could help some until she's okay to leave. His wolf should calm down as she gets stronger. It's a normal reaction when you see someone being tortured." 

The looks I got from both told me I probably said that with the wrong tone. My wolf whined in my head, and Lachlan lifted me enough so I could put my nose where his neck met his shoulders.

"You said nothing wrong, love. We expect you to have different views on things than we do."

"I'm sorry," I said to the Blood Alpha. I didn't mean to, but it came out almost whiny.

"Grace, we all understand there is a learning curve with new mates. Your status as a Little and a Mahani makes you a special case. It would be best not to worry about fitting into what you perceive us to want. I want you to be yourself. The pack is thrilled to have you here."

His smile and kind voice did wonders, but I didn't want to discuss this anymore.

"Can we go play now?" 

I spent the next two hours playing with toys and pups. It was the most fun I'd had in a while and released every bit of my stress. I made the coolest castle out of a mixture of five different types of blocks, then told the other pups to storm the castle and destroy it. It was so much fun!

After a quick applesauce snack and some juice, it was time to prepare for the ceremony. A big banquet will be held after. I had taken my dress out of my overnight case early this morning and hung it in the bathroom. After Lachlan and I took our showers, it had no wrinkles, thanks to the steam.

"What does this ceremony entail? Kayla isn't talking." Lachlan asked as he put on his dress clothes. He had come out of the bathroom in his boxers and a shirt. I blushed a little but couldn't help but notice how handsome he was.

"My dad says a few words; then they read some verse or poems they chose to each other, then we have the ceremony where his powers will become available to her through the mate bond." I thought for a moment before continuing. "If she wants to become Mahani, that would happen instead."

"I know you are involved in this somehow. Nicolas seemed to worry that I would react in a bad way. What do you do?" He was adjusting his tie, and he was gorgeous with his black formal jacket. I still can't believe he's my mate. He must have felt me through our bond as he turned and winked at me, looking proud of himself. I giggled as I answered him.

"I set them on fire."

*******

Um, what...?! --April