Chapter 34 - Dean

I had just finished my double dose of training and was headed for the showers when Evan's mom, Dorothy, contacted me by mind link. She asked that I link her back when I was alone and could talk. After my shower, I lay across my bed, exhaustion claiming me. The trainers were not going easy on me, even though I was the best in my age range and the one above it.

"Hey, Dorothy. What's going on?"

"Evan contacted me this afternoon. Blood Alpha Sands did something horrible to our pack and the others involved in the Massacre."

"I didn't hear anything about that." I wondered why. Anything that bastard does spreads like wildfire. I hope someone kills him soon.

"I don't think your father has been told yet. The Mahani are trying to contain the situation, and because they are not allowed here..." she didn't need to continue the thought. I knew.

"What did he do?" I asked as I rolled over onto my stomach, knowing I would probably get mad, and this way, I could muffle the sound.

"Right after his daughter was killed, he caught several of the younger wolves, the ones who just came of age, and gave them several commands. Some were not to remember seeing him, but the main one was to reject their mate." Her voice showed the pain, but my brain was flying along with my temper.

"That son of a bitch!" My yell was into my pillow as I counted the years. "Theo, Andy, Bruce..." I whimpered into the mind link.

"The Mahani can fix the mate bond if forced to reject. Before fixing the mate bonds, they must get the boys and absolve the Alpha commands." My mind focused on four of her words.

"The Mahani can absolve Alpha commands?" I knew they helped Amanda, but I thought they did it by giving her new commands.

"That is what Evan said." She replied.

A plan was forming in my mind.

"Can you get me in touch with Evan directly? A phone number?" I asked.

"Of course."

*******

The following day, the sunrise was beautiful. I made sure I saw it as it may be my last day on this earth. My plan was in full swing, and I would follow through with it no matter the cost to myself. I was going to save my pack members even if I died trying.

My father and grandfather took well to my suggestion last night of spending some time together today. I asked them to take me into the forest on the edge of our land to teach me how to scout correctly. They have wanted to do this for a while, but I kept putting it off because once I did, it would add more to my schedule, which is already overloaded between learning to be a Blood Alpha, physical training, and finishing school. They think I'm trying to get out of training. They couldn't be more wrong.

Please, I prayed to the Goddess, let this work.

I walked downstairs with a heavy heart. My parents and grandparents were eating breakfast, and I joined them.

"Don't look so depressed, son. I promise not to put too many patrols on your schedule until your wolf emerges." My dad said with a smile.

"Come now, Glenn. I only gave you one patrol per week before you came of age. That worked well for you and should do well for Dean." My grandfather said to my dad. They were both happy to see me growing into the role of Blood Alpha.

"When do you want to leave?" I asked solemnly.

"We are leaving as soon as you have some breakfast, but don't take too long. Let's say about twenty minutes?" He stated as he got up from the table. He leaned down and kissed my mom before walking toward the hallway, probably going to his office. I hope he doesn't hear about what's happening with the Blood Alpha bastard before we leave.

I put food on my plate from the table platters and started eating. I couldn't taste any food but knew it would look funny if I didn't eat. My grandparents chatted with each other while I ate what I could stomach without throwing it all back up.

"Time to go." My grandfather yelled out to my dad as I pushed my plate away. I reached for my phone and sent a quick text before sliding it into my front pocket, where it would not be seen. The location settings were on, and I had downloaded the app so it could be followed.

Once we were outside, I grabbed a backpack off the porch, and as they started to strip, I folded the clothes and put them inside. Their wolves were giant, as all Blood Alpha wolves are. I put on the pack and climbed onto my dad's wolf. Usually, I love going for wolf rides on my dad, but today, my heart wasn't in it.

As we approached the pack border, my nervousness increased. Even if this works, I'm not sure I will ever be forgiven, even if I am the next Blood Alpha. If it doesn't work, I'll be lucky if he just banishes me.

I climbed down and looked around. I had never been to this part of the woods before. I handed them their clothes as they shifted. My phone vibrated in my pocket. My hands were shaking as I reached out to an old oak tree that was bigger than any I had ever seen before. I whimpered.

My dad and granddad turned at the sound, and I took a breath before facing them, feeling a tear slide down my face. They both looked worried as they stared at me.

"What's wrong?" My father took a step towards me, causing me to take a step back from him involuntarily.

I thought for a moment as I wasn't sure what to say. My phone vibrated a second time, causing me to close my eyes and try to blink away the new tears.

"I'll take my punishment, whatever it may be."

*******

I'm sorry for the cliffhanger.

--April