Chapter 21 - Evan

My best friend is going to survive.

I did it.

It's been several days, and her body is as healthy as possible after what the Blood Alpha did to her. They are transferring her to a rehabilitation facility for people suffering from rejection sickness.

Since I can't go with her, I must return to the Montross pack and face my punishment.

I'd already decided to leave, but I hoped to do it in such a way as to see my mom and friends occasionally. If the Blood Alpha allows, I can arrange it without a beating or time in the cells--fat chance.

But whatever happens, it's worth it. She's alive. That's all that matters.

I said my goodbyes to Amanda and the Mahani. As I walked to my car, I thought, for maybe the hundredth time, about my options on where to go. They're pretty limited.

The Sinclair pack can only take me in after banishment from an Allied pack if I was a destined mate to one of them. I would have to go to an enemy pack, which would not take me, fearing a spy.

Blood Alpha Cooper recommended applying for TriAngle Law Enforcement, which the Council created in no man's land. TALE would test me physically and mentally, but it's far from my mom. I would be lucky if I saw her once a year.

If all else fails, Doc offered to find a family that would take me in until I decided what to do with my life, as I'm only trained to be a pack warrior, which is pretty useless without a pack. I would have to go back to school.

But first, it's time to face the music. So, I get in my car and drive to my pack, knowing it's for the last time.

My mind wonders, thinking of my Mom and Dean. The Blood Alpha's son got the worst of it.

I remember thinking the Moon Goddess must be helping, as the guards had just opened the gates when I approached. If they had stopped to chat, they would have seen Amanda. Maybe she was, and Dean was who she put in my path to help.

Mom was reprimanded by the Luna and had kitchen duty every day for a month. Mom said she was firm in front of others but thanked her when they were alone.

After a full day of driving, I'm finally approaching the gates. I'm exhausted physically and mentally, but I must complete this now.

Before taking Amanda, I had packed anything I wanted to keep and the money I had saved into a bag and stashed it in my trunk. Doc has it somewhere, and I have nothing with me.

The only thing they could take is my car, but technically, it's mine, as I bought it with my own money. However, as my Blood Alpha, he can do as he wishes, including confiscating my baby.

While I love my car, Amanda making it through this meant more.

"The Blood Alpha wants to see you now. He's waiting in front of the packhouse." The guard said sadly.

They were my friends before this happened, and he knew I was about to be handed my head.

While we all wanted Amanda to live, most would not give up their lives for her. Because of my past, it was easier for me.

I drove straight to the pack house, finding several of my peers and mom standing out front with Blood Alpha Montross.

Gathering my courage, I got out and walked steadily to face them all. I stopped a few feet away and assumed my Alpha pose, looking only at my Blood Alpha.

"I am very disappointed in you, Evan. You deliberately disobeyed me. Because of the Wolf Camp massacre, you had a connection with them. You were told never to use it. Do you have anything to say before I give judgment?"

"I could not watch her die. Not after Megan."

I could see him start to say something and stop. His eyes glowed as if he was talking to someone else. I couldn't look away to see who, but I was guessing by his following remark it was the Luna.

"Evan Rider, you are formally banished from the Montross pack. You are never allowed to step foot on my land again. If you do, it will be seen as an act of intention, and we will kill you. You will not receive any other punishment because of a plea for mercy on your behalf. You will leave now. Beta, follow him to the gates."

My mom ran and hugged me as tears ran down her face. People watching would assume they were sad tears, but I knew better.

They were tears of relief as she believed I would get a death sentence for openly disobeying my Blood Alpha.

I hugged her and a few others before getting in my car. Just as I sat down, I felt the pack link break, and judging by the flinch of the Beta standing beside the car, so did the others.

I was now a rogue until I returned to the Mahani, where they would proclaim me a lone wolf, changing my scent.

Was it worth it? I checked with my wolf, who had been silent through this whole thing. He didn't even yelp in pain when the pack bond broke.

He seemed sad but determined. He didn't want to lose someone else. Watching his mate torn apart, limb from limb had hurt him deeply. It had taken him a week to stop crying, and he was silent for several more. He didn't shift for an entire month.

Now, he just wanted to return to the Mahani. While I thought that odd, I didn't debate it.

When I reached the gates, all I felt was relief. I got away with not only my life but my body intact.

Even though I'm bone-tired and now a rogue wolf, exiled by his birth pack with no future... It's a good day.

*******

Now, where should we put Evan? Decisions, decisions...
--April