Candy

Sam's pov

"Mommy, Mommy, can Katie and I try my new Spider-Man sour watermelon toothpaste? Can we, mommy, please?" he asked excitedly.

"Sure baby, just don't make a mess, ok," she said. The majority of her response fell on deaf ears since the kids took off running right after hearing the word sure. "I swear I don't know how your brother organized this kitchen," she muttered. Amy was flustered as she continued unpacking the groceries they must have shopped for after Drew's appointment. "I can't figure out where anything goes."

"Amy, you were saying about Rachel?" I prompted, trying to get her back on track to our conversation as I took a can of green beans from her.

Sighing, she put the ketchup bottle down, now granting me her full attention.

"I'm sorry she didn't tell you, Sam." Amy touched my arm gently as she spoke with genuine compassion. "Rachel just does these things." Pausing seeing the despondent look on my face, she tried to explain her sister's behavior. "She's flaky and impetuous and she takes off without a plan or a care in the world, whenever the mood strikes her." She patted my hand. "I'm really sorry, Sam," she said sadly, before continuing her task of putting away the groceries.

The next morning

Sammy's pov

"Hey, little bro, would you mind doin' me a favor today by takin' care of the grocery list on the fridge? Amy forgot to take the list with her yesterday and she forgot a bunch of stuff we're out of." Dean asked, buttoning up his deputy uniform and grabbing his gun belt on his way out the door. "Amy's already at work and I think she's gotta do a twelve (12 hour shift) today."

"Sure, Dean," I yelled, mainly to myself since my brother was halfway down the driveway already. "I've got nothing better to do," I muttered under my breath, thoroughly frustrated with my unsuccessful job search as of late and if I'm being honest with myself, what happened with Rachel taking off without telling me. Replaying it in my head, I thought about the great night we had together and wondered what went wrong.

I feel so lost and useless having no prospects right now. Maybe that's why Rachel left like she did. Cuz I'm a loser with no job and no place of my own, sponging off my big brother. I sighed, thinking the least I can do is pull my weight around here and help out my brother who's currently putting a roof over my head. I wonder where Amy's boys are? Since the house is so quiet, I know they can't be here.

"Hey, Katie," I shouted to my niece so she could hear me. I'm too lazy to go upstairs right now.

"What?" She asked, coming to the railing.

"Where are the boys?" I asked her.

"Dad went to work and Amy took Drew to daycare."

"Where's the oldest one?"

"I told you Dad went to work," Katie replied, slightly annoyed, like I'm stupid for asking.

I couldn't help but laugh. I guess technically she's right, Dean is the oldest boy. God knows he's still such a child ninety percent of the time.

"No, I mean Amy's oldest boy." For some reason his name escapes me right now.

"Oh Alex? I think Amy took him to his friend's house."

"Ok, thanks, honey."

After cleaning up the kitchen and the dishes from last night's dinner and this morning's breakfast, I called Katie down.