28 ♡ serendipity

You shouldn't really have been that surprised. For someone such as yourself, who relied so heavily on the use of your Quirk, it only made sense for them to pit you against the teacher who was best equipped to render you useless.

"Well, I'm screwed," you said, almost tempted to laugh at your impending failure. Shouto was one of the strongest members of the class, if not the strongest, but it wouldn't matter so long as Aizawa used his Quirk. Besides controlling people, you had nothing to offer in terms of offense or defense. You were pretty fast, but that was about it.

"The next pair will be Midoriya with Bakugou," Aizawa continued, and the absurdity of those words was enough to momentarily snap you out of your stupor. Izuku, working with Katsuki? That was literally impossible. Not in a million years. Not even if they chained the two of them together. And apparently, they were fighting against...

All Might.

Izuku began shaking beside you. Suddenly, your own situation felt less horrifying by comparison. This was his idol, the man he'd looked up to all his life-not to mention the Number One Hero. An admirer like Izuku could probably never imagine even facing him, much less defeating him. And with Katsuki, of all people? Poor guy.

"T-There's no way," he stammered, white as paper. "Win... against All Might? And Kacchan-he won't-he'll never-"

"Ssh. It's okay." You placed your hand on his shoulder. It was probably the only thing that stopped him from hyperventilating altogether. "They haven't explained the details yet," you smiled. "I'm sure they can't actually expect for anyone to defeat All Might. There's got to be a different way to win."

He inhaled sharply. "Right. You're r-right. Thank you... [Name]-chan."

"Nothing to thank me for." You glanced over towards Katsuki, who was glaring daggers in your direction. You instinctively slid your hand off Izuku's shoulder. "Well, um, good luck. With that. With him."

"This is so cruel," Izuku swallowed.

"I wholeheartedly agree."

They finished announcing the rest of the groups, and then everyone was split off with the teacher they were meant to face. You gave Izuku one least reassuring smile, but you were sure it hardly made a dent in the bundle of nerves he was forming. Aizawa took you and Shouto on a bus which headed for your exam site. You were happy with your partner. Shouto was a friend, and one of the people you were closer to in the class, but you felt guilty too. Even though you knew there was no point in being pessimistic, you just couldn't see yourself winning this. There was no plan that came to mind. There was nothing you brought to the table.

"Are you okay?" Shouto asked, cocking a brow.

You shifted in your seat. "Just a little nervous," you admitted.

"It'll be fine. It's just an exam, at the end of the day. Not like our lives are on the line or anything."

"Yeah, but I really want to pass and go with everyone to the training camp. Plus," you frowned, "if I fail here, it's not a good sign. It means my powers are even more limited than I thought."

"It's not like you to be so pessimistic," he remarked.

"Oh. Really?"

"Yeah. You're always smiling and positive. I don't really know how you do it, but I think it's a good mindset to have."

Well, you'd be surprised.

You swallowed your thoughts, nodding in earnest. Shouto didn't give himself enough credit. He'd said to you before that he wasn't very good at reading people and knowing what went on in their minds, but it seemed to you that he could be very perceptive and sensitive when he wanted to be.