44 ♡ the gods must be crazy

After being questioned by the police, Mikael brought you to the hospital for your injured arm. You were given a few stitches, but they'd assured you there would be no scarring or permanent damage, especially if Recovery Girl used her powers on you once you were back in school. With all that had happened, it was safe to say that you were exhausted, but you weren't quite sure how to break the news to Mikael.

Eventually, while he was driving you home, you decided on this:

"I think the gods took my powers away."

"Huh?"

All he could do was glance over at you in shock, and you realized then that this may not have been the best time to tell him, on account of how easy it would be to get in a car crash right now. Thankfully, Mikael had always been good at retaining his composure.

He let out a sigh. "What are you saying, [Name]?"

"Exactly what I said," you mumbled. "I think I must have angered them, because right before my capture, Aphrodite lent me her strength, and everything just seemed so easy with such inordinate power that I let my guard down. I got careless and overconfident, and right before I was taken by the villains, I heard some man's voice in my head followed by a burst of lightning."

"A burst of lighting... you can't be serious," Mikael swallowed, gripping on the steering wheel with white knuckles. "To think that he of all people would take an interest in you... but are they really gone? You're sure they didn't just seal off your powers temporarily?"

You lowered your eyes. "I'm not quite sure what they consider to be temporary. I haven't been able to use my Quirk at all since that moment, even though I was more than physically close to all of the people I tried using it on."

"More than physically close, huh?" He almost couldn't keep the smirk out of his voice. "I know what that means."

"Hey, do you think I enjoyed kissing that weirdo villain?"

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to tease. It's just a lot to take in all at once, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Let's wait until we've gotten home so that I don't end up killing us both, alright?"

You decided that was probably for the best. When you arrived back at the manor, Freja and Rui were there waiting for you. The poor things looked like they hadn't slept a single wink, and Rui burst into tears the second you came through the door.

"I was s-so worried," she sobbed, smothering you in her arms. "You can't do this to me, [Name]... don't let those nasty villains lay their hands on you! The next time they try something like this, I'll fight them myself...!"

"I'm okay," you reassured. "No need to cry. It's all over now."

She reluctantly pulled away, her runny nose dripping all over the place. You couldn't help but laugh. Even though you already knew it, seeing how much people cared and worried about you warmed your heart.

"I wasn't sure when exactly you'd be getting back, but I will warm up a nice meal for you," Freja smiled.

"Thank you. I'd appreciate it."

Yep, you were exhausted. Even more so now that you were back in the comfort of your home. You finally felt as if you could let your guard down, and all of the adrenaline from earlier that had been keeping you going came to a blistering halt.

"I'll be in my room," you said tiredly, already heading for the stairs. You hadn't told Freja or Rui about your Quirk disappearing. They would just worry even more, and though they'd seen Ares around the house time and time again, they had no connection with the gods themselves. You didn't think it was fair to burden them with something they wouldn't understand. At least, not right now.