49 ♡ progress

"It took me a little while, but I think I've managed to come up with something that will work perfectly with your costume!"

You smiled eagerly. Mei really wasn't giving herself enough credit. She said it had taken her a while, but the whole thing had been completed far quicker than you could have possibly expected. She must've worked day and night to finish this, if the dark circles under her eyes were anything to go off. You appreciated her passion and enthusiasm to finish her projects, but you wished the poor girl would get some sleep for a change.

Mei grinned and placed a rather small, compact device into your palms. "I know you said you didn't want the voice amplifier to be implemented into a mask or anything, so that your face isn't obscured. You said it's important for people to be able to see your face when you use your Quirk, right?"

"Yeah. If they can't see me, it won't work."

"Well, this should be fine then. There's a clamp around the back here," she gestured, "so you should be able to attach it to that gold choker you wear with your costume. Even if it's on your neck, it's sensitive enough to pick up your voice and amplify it many times over. Just press the button on the front whenever you want to use the amplifying feature. I tested it out myself, so there shouldn't be any problems!"

"This is great," you smiled, lightly squeezing the device between your fingers. "Thank you for making it so quickly, Mei-chan. I'm excited to test it out."

"No problem!" she beamed. "There was another student, uh... I've sort of forgotten his name... but I think he was from the General Department? I made his support item using a similar technique, so it wasn't too difficult to figure yours out."

You thought back to your sleepy-eyed friend with messy, indigo hair.

"Shinsou-kun, right?"

Mei scrunched up her nose, very clearly making an effort to remember. "Like I said, I'm not sure. I'm awful with names."

"Aw. You remembered mine, though."

"That's true," she acknowledged. "I guess I've just had a lot of fun trying to figure out how to help you enhance that power of yours!"

"Well, I'm glad to hear it. It's been a lot of fun for me, too."

She stuck out her fist and gave you a thumbs-up. "Let me know how it goes! I'll be sure to make whatever adjustments you need!"

Instead of just smiling again, you leaned over and wrapped her in a big hug. She froze for a moment, obviously a bit confused by the sudden gesture, but it didn't take her long to chuckle and lightly pat your back.

"Be careful," Mei laughed. "I'm a total mess right now. You might end up getting dirty."

"After all you've done for me, I don't mind," you smiled. "I'm going to go back to the gym and see how this works on my classmates."

"Sounds good! I'm going to shower and then go to sleep for about twenty hours!"

*****

You fidgeted with the new invention clasped around your choker. It was a snug, comfortable fit. It didn't feel bulky or bother you while you were moving. You really hoped it would work. There were still so many uncertainties surrounding your powers, even now. Being able to enhance your range would do wonders.

Everyone was still training in their own little custom areas, just the way you'd left them, though by now it seemed like they'd made a lot more progress. You didn't want to be the only one left behind.