-| Day 11: Lull |-

AU: Zee's AU and book, Essence of the World! Check it out when you can, it's great :D

Context: I wanted to write something with my little axolotl character's view of Misty and Sage (the two Colorless Guards in the story) :3

Shorter one, buuut it's really wholesome hehe

—————————————————————————————————————

[3rd Person POV]

The little blue axolotl looked at them from inside the bucket, curled up at the bottom. Misty had just been playing with her while sat on the grass, when Sage came by, and they began to talk.

She wasn't paying attention to the conversation, though. She was observing them; How they looked a bit strange compared to the Steves back home wasn't part of it, but rather how they acted towards Sabre and the other 'creatures', as they've been calling her and her friends. How they stayed strong and protected everyone, even through tough battles. How they both seemed to care in their own ways, even if it wasn't always obvious.

Misty had been the one to catch her attention first, mostly because she had never really seen a pink (or as she learned they're actually called, Violet) Steve before. Misty was very sweet and caring when not focusing on her duties as a Guard, and tended to find Sabre's admittedly odd sense of humor funnier than Sage did. Apparently, her color represented love, having heard a few passing stories of a very... eccentric village she was from explain that. It made sense... sort of. The axolotl still didn't quite understand the color-coding.

Sage had been more off-putting at first, given his generally angry demeanor, which scared the little axolotl a bit for a while. However, she soon began to see that he wasn't all tough and stone-walled. Sage was just as caring as Misty, although he didn't show it much, and was more the voice of responsibility and kept everybody on track. The axolotl could tell that he was hiding something he was scarred by, but couldn't tell what, and it wasn't like she could ask him. Similarly to back home, his yellow color represented energy, although the specks and blotches of green on him had her a little confused. Then again, she knows she's a bit stupid sometimes, so maybe she's confused about something obvious.

As the two talked, the axolotl couldn't help but feel happy. Their presence around her always gave her a sort of warmth, happiness...

Yet she didn't know why.

Well, she had a guess. Perhaps their appearances and personalities kept reminding her of her parents, even though she only had vague memories of them. Her mother was a pink axolotl, and was as bubbly and friendly as could be, similar to Misty. Yet she wasn't afraid to defend her family if she needed to. Her father was yellow, and let algae grow around him to help with setting up sea plant colonies and water filtration. He was gruff and quiet, but showed a warmer side to his family. He was the one that had started showing her how to use a trident, before he and her mother... nevermind.

The axolotl shook away the resurfacing memories, during which she accidentally smacked her head on the side of the bucket. Dizzy for a moment, the next thing she knew was Misty lifting her out of the bucket so she could check on her, Sage a little concerned as well.

She instantly smiled when she saw them, rubbing her tiny face into Misty's hand as they both checked on her head. The two Guards found no damage and smiled at the axolotl, glad she was alright. The axolotl got a few rubs on her head before being lowered back into the bucket.

Sinking to the bottom once again, the axolotl went back to curling up and staring at the two above her, happily watching as they talked. The warm, happy feeling returned.

Soon, the axolotl found herself falling asleep as she watched them. A small bubble floated up to the surface as she yawned, shifting to lay on her side and grabbing her tail with little nubs. The two Guards' conversation became soothing white noise as she was lulled to sleep.

It's strange... ever since what had happened, she had always had trouble sleeping... but even just the two Guards' company soothed her.