-| Day 17: Comfort |-

AU: SSP (aka Smol Sky People)

Context: Haven't revealed this in the actual book yet, buuut Sabre has night terrors >:3

(Takes place before the book starts, but after RQ)

—————————————————————————————————————

[Sabre's POV]

I jolt awake, quickly sitting up, and Time is there right beside me as I panic.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I'm here." He says softly, reassuring me while carefully pulling me into a hug. "You're alright, Sabre. It was just another bad dream."

My breathing slows as I glance around the room, and realize that it really was just a dream. I'm not... there anymore. He isn't here, he didn't find me. They're all safe in the forest. I... I don't know where she is, but she's probably safe and happier wherever she ended up.

I start to calm down, and slowly let go of Time. He does the same, but leaves a hand on my shoulder.

"Better?" He asks with a smile.

"Yeah... thanks, Time." I reply. "Sorry if I woke you up because of that again..."

"It's alright, Sabre. Your safety matters more." He says, letting go. "I heard something fall and came to investigate. You were talking in your sleep again, and seemed really scared."

Something fell-?

I take another look around the room, and see that I had shoved a pillow up onto my nightstand during the night terror, and it knocked over my box of little trinkets that the blobs bring me. Time thinks I just collect random stuff and use that to hold it. The wood has been cracked on its corner, and all of its contents are spilled on the floor.

"Oh, crud..." I mumble, starting to get up, but Time stops me.

"It's okay, I'll get it." He says.

He picks up the box and starts placing the various items back inside, while I stay sat on my bed. I feel a little guilty, knowing that this isn't the first time this has happened... and that he has to pick up my mess.

I've been dealing with these night terrors for... a long time. They're usually worse, I guess I was a little luckier tonight. Sometimes I start screaming, sometimes I have a panic attack when I wake up, and sometimes I end up accidentally hurting myself when I wake up because of them. I know what they're all connected to every time; sometimes it's... him, sometimes it's what happened during the worse times of my life, sometimes it's events that happened in any of the worlds I've visited, and on rarer occasions it's... about the blobs. I can't let them get hurt or... worse. Especially because of him.

"Sabre?"

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Time, who's just placed the box back on the nightstand, and is handing me the stray pillow. I take it and put it back next to the one I still had. We both stay silent for a moment.

As always, Time's the first one to speak.

"...You know, you don't have to keep this bottled up forever." Time says, giving a soft but concerned smile. "Whenever you're ready, you can talk about it with me, or maybe bring it up with Green during one of your therapy sessions. Maybe it could help...?"

I avoid eye contact, staring at the mirror opposite of my bed. My own nervous expression stares back at me.

"...I know." I answer quietly.

...But I never want anyone to know what happened. I'm not telling anybody.

"Alright." He says, and he carefully hugs me one last time. "Goodnight, Sabre."

"G'night, Time." I reply, and he lets go and walks out of the room.

I sit there in the dark for a while, staring at my reflection, trying to calm my nerves. I have to admit, Time is... sort of right. I can't keep it bottled up forever... now that I'm staying here permanently, eventually someone will find out. The only chance I have of controlling who that is, is if I tell those closest to me first.

...That's a question for another day, though. I'm getting tired.

I wrap my blankets around myself and lie back down, yawning. The warmth of the bedding and the sounds of the night outside are already pulling me towards sleep.

...I'm glad I have a friend like Time to comfort me.