Chapter 8

"Um, uh, Tony, I need to call you back

"Um, uh, Tony, I need to call you back." I slam my phone down and shoot up. Talia is standing in front of my desk with a brooding expression.

Ethan runs in after her. "Sorry, Mr. Handler! She just went in on her own!"

"It's fine, Ethan. Please leave us," I say and Ethan nods. Once my assistant leaves, I turn to Talia and whisper, "What the fuck are you doing here, are you crazy?" I dart past her and pop my head out of the office to assess who could've seen her walk in. Great. Just great. Literally everyone in the office saw her come in.

Well, the damage is done and it's only a matter of time before I'll have to face the barrage of questions from my staff. "Have you lost your mind?" I seethe as I move to stand in front of her.

"I could ask you the same thing! Really, Lucas? An email to Charles and Bill and you wouldn't think I'd find out about it?"

Ohhh. So this is what it's about.

I can't help but smile. She's riled up and hitting back with full force. I saw the email she sent this morning. The angle she took is impressive and her message - loud and clear. My dick twitches as I lean back on my desk. Down boy, this is Talia.

"Are you...are you seriously smiling right now?" She shakes her head and scoffs. "Listen, I don't intend on staying long but if you ever go behind my back again I will personally have your balls cut off and served to your analysts. Got it?"

My dick twitches again and my smile grows despite my self-reprimands. Stop thinking about her handling your balls, you moron. "Oh, I wonder what our CEOs will think of your...what was it you wrote? Teamlike attitude?"

"I'm serious Lucas. Don't joke around!"

I stand up straight. "You were the one that said we should stay out of each other's ways, so I was just listening to what you said. That feels like some good team spirit to me."

"You-" Before she can finish her sentence, a knock captures both of our attentions.

Kyle's head pops in through the door and his eyes grow wide seeing Talia standing...I shift my gaze back to her. We moved pretty close to each other, only standing about a foot away. I clear my throat and take a step back.

"Sorry to interrupt, Lucas. We're, uh, waiting for you in the conference room," Kyle says before his eyeline moves to Talia again and his smile grows even wider. "I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting." Kyle steps into the office and holds out a hand for Talia to shake. I hope my best friend can see the glares I'm giving him. "I'm Kyle, and you are..."

"Talia," she says as she turns to him with an equally wide smile. "So," she places her hands on her hips, "what are we waiting for? Should we all head over to the conference room together? I'd be happy to share the news with everyone."

Kyle's head tilts to the side and he looks at me with a puzzled expression. I sigh and run a hand over my face. "Kyle, I'll be there in a minute."

"Sure thing, boss." He nods. "Talia, it was really good to meet you. I hope we'll be seeing you come around here more often."