Chapter 9

The urge to trash Lucas' office is real

The urge to trash Lucas' office is real. I storm through Handler Finance's hallway contemplating arson. Maybe there's a smoker that carries a lighter or matchbox in their desk drawer. Or someone perhaps secretly likes to light candles at their desk and break fire code rules. Gasoline would be tricky. Where could I get that? Maybe Imani knows. I quickly shake my head and laugh. He is literally making me crazy.

Pausing in front of Lucas' office, I look at his assistant's desk. A thought creeps into my mind and I glance around the empty office space. When it's clear no one can see me, I jet to Ethan's chair. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing but I need to try to at least find a way to stay ahead of Lucas somehow.

After trying a couple of generic passwords on Ethan's computer, I rummage around the stacks of papers and notepads on the desk. I stumble across a couple of pep talk notes like, "You're amazing sunshine, keep going," that Ethan keeps in his drawer. Then, I find a notebook that looks like it houses a list of to-do's. I open it to the latest entry and find a bright blue post-it note with scraggly handwriting.

Find Lucas gift for Tiffany Voss. Medici Italiana. Delivery 8 tonight. Nothing too big. Maybe jewelry. Or something to do with animals. First date type of gift. You got this, Ethan.

My cheeks warm with my smile. I hit the jackpot. It looks like Lucas is going on a date later. Medici Italiana is a gorgeous new restaurant in the city that one of my clients owns. It's the type of restaurant that requires a small fortune to dine in. I scoff thinking about how Lucas went on about frugality at La Cucina.

Yeah, okay. 'I'm trying to save money,' my ass.

While I don't know what I'll do with the date information, it still somehow feels useful. Noise down the hall startles me. I quickly grab the post-it, fold it, and tuck it into my pocket before putting things back to where I remember them. Just as I stand up, Lucas' frame comes into view. I cross my arms and lean back against Ethan's desk.

Lucas appears deep in thought, looking down with a scowl sealed into his features as he approaches. When his head moves up, his eyes widen a fraction. "I thought you'd left."

I shake my head. Why does he look upset? I'm the one that should be upset right now. Not him.

"Alright, well I'm just about ready to go tell McAvoy employees together but there's something we need to talk about first." Lucas opens his office door and holds it for me to follow.

The look on his face makes my stomach churn. Something's different and I can't quite put my finger on it. Still, I'm annoyed at his little puffed-up display in front of his staff. "You better be apologizing to me. You made me look like an idiot," I say as I pass the threshold and stride to the chair behind his desk. I brazenly take a seat in his chair and raise my brows, waiting for Lucas to say what he needed to say.

After he closes the door and turns back, his scowl softens and amusement graces his sharp features. "Don't get too comfortable," he says as I lean back in his walnut brown, leather upholstered seat that's big for me. It's as if this wide seat was molded perfectly for Lucas' body. He makes his way to the side of the desk and perches himself on it facing me. "I apologize for what I did back there."