Chapter 36

"Lucas! Wake up!"

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Lucas! Wake up!"

I groan as jostling stirs me awake. Once I register that it's Talia desperately trying to wake me as if the building is on fire, my eyes shoot open and I jerk forward. "What? What happened? Are you okay?"

Talia's makeup-rimmed eyes are wide in panic which causes my heart to beat fast. What the hell happened? I reach over to grasp her arm but she steps back before I can reach her.

"Why the hell is your dad managing the layoffs?"

Even though Talia said words, my mind is still scrambling to get up to speed like Scooby-Doo about to run. "What?" I respond while rubbing my eyes.

Once Talia repeats her question with the same level of urgency, the message reaches the receptors in my brain and my stomach instantly sinks. What did Dad do this time? I grab my underwear from the floor and swiftly tug it on before searching for my phone.

"Lucas! Answer me! Why does your dad have this list?"

"I sent it to him," I respond just as I finally find my phone in my pants pocket. "What's going on? What did he do?"

"Why would you send it to him? This was something we were supposed to manage!" She crosses her arms in front of her while pulling up the sleeves of her robe.

"He asked me to send it to him. What was I supposed to do? Say no?" I pull up my inbox and spot the email in question right at the top. I quickly scan the body and let out a sigh. "Tal, he just sent his suggestions. We can still change the list."

"He already sent it to HR! They're probably already planning out the severance packages!"

I raise a brow questioningly. Why is Talia acting like the world is ending? She has to know that we need to make some big cuts on this. "So? Doesn't mean we still can't change it."

Her mouth moves to the side and her forehead creases.

"Here, let's hop on a call with him. We'll get it worked out," I say, hoping it'll diffuse the ticking time bomb in front of me.

She simply nods before sighing heavily and moving to the couch.

I pull up Dad's number and hit dial and speakerphone while I settle next to Talia on the couch. I place a hand on her leg peeping out of the robe as the ringtone starts. Her skin is so smooth. The warm memories of the night prior flush through me. I need more of her. On this couch. In the shower. Wherever we please.

After a few rings, Dad answers. "There's the man of the hour!"

"Hey, Dad, you're on speakerphone with Talia and me."

"Good morning, Talia!"

"Charles."

"So, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

Before I can start, Talia jumps in. "We saw the layoffs list, Charles. Frankly, I'm very concerned with some of the names on there."

"Oh? Which ones? I spent a lot of time assessing the impact of each. I can assure you this is the best list for the new company."