Chapter 16

It takes a second for me to register what I'm doing

It takes a second for me to register what I'm doing. I'm currently devouring cherry laced lips that are so smooth they're likely listed as part of Smooth's definition in the dictionary.

These lips. These plump, luscious lips belong to none other than the woman I've enjoyed hating for the past fifteen years. A sexy, downright captivating woman who has starred in so many of my thoughts over the past few weeks - some annoyed, some angry, and some filled with wonder.

But that isn't the weirdest part of it all. If we flip over to Weird in our Merriam-Webster, we'll without a doubt find: Talia kissing me back. The delicious pressure against me, the way she leans her body in, and the nearly inaudible whimper she lets out, all point to one thing - she wants this kiss just as much as I do.

Our mouths move slowly. Low, but distinct sounds from the slickness of our lips against each other travel to my ears. Every neuron in my body is firing rapidly. If Talia's dance is a well-struck golf shot, this kiss is better than hitting a forged blade pure. My arms wrap around her waist while her fingers find their way to the back of my head. I want more. No, I need more.

Yet just as I'm about to deepen the kiss, the music finishes and the audience erupts into a roaring applause, forcing us to wake up from whatever heavenly-daze we're in.

Talia pushes her upper body off me, shock clearly etched into her wide eyes. We remained seated, frozen in place, and staring at each other, her hands still pressed against my chest.

The curtains draw together, leaving us both in darkness, a stark contrast to the beaming light shining on us just moments before. Claps from the audience still travel through the curtains yet my ears zero in on the shallow breaths coming out of us. What the fuck just happened? It was as if the golf ball ended up ricocheting off a cart and into the nearby pond. How in the hell did I take a swing like that?

Our eyes stay glued to each other, me trying to again wrap my head around what happened. Did I just kiss Talia? Or was it all a very vivid dream I had that bordered wet?

When Ana's voice hit my eardrums like a ball to the head, my eyes widen. "Pst. Talia, you guys need to clear the stage for the final bow."

Oh my God. I just kissed Talia.

Talia's head turns abruptly and when her hooded eyes open, she leaps off of me. I jump up from the seat. A tightness wraps around my lungs. I need air.

Looking down, I move to one side at the same time as Talia moves in front of me toward the opposite direction. We nearly bump into each other and both decide to move at the same time again. "Uh-um, sorry."

"No- all good. Um I'll just go that way," I say before scratching the back of my head without making any eye contact and without moving. If I look up, I don't know what else I'd be capable of doing. God, what did I just do? The other performers are making their way onto the stage, but my feet are glued to the ground.